• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF History and traditions

Calling all Blue Jobs,

You may not be aware of it, but there is an Internet based encyclopedia called "Wikipedia" and somebody has started an RAF section where they are writing up the history of various RAF Stations past and present.

If you have anything to offer (it's a public system, so anybody can contribute), or would like to see what others have written up, then have a look at this web page.

Regards and a happy new year,

Percy

Stax

Flight Sergeant
I always thought our sister services regarded us as having habits rather than traditions!

Stax said:
I always thought our sister services regarded us as having habits rather than traditions!
Well I wasn't going to mention it, but seeing as you've brought it up - it's actually bad habits as opposed to any traditions; oh - and you march funny.

Seriously - Wikipedia, while not being an authorative source in the sense of a recognised authority, does give a chance for all to publish their own views or thoughts on a subject. There is very little about in the public domain with regard to what was RAF Germany and it seems an excellent method of ensuring that your history is captured for all to read.

Percy

Who? Me?

SAC
RAF Urban Myths

RAF Urban Myths

I was going to start a new thread but after looking at the previous posts I think my question would be quite happy being posted here.

I have heard an urban myth that says 84 Sqn is never to be seen in the UK.

This was after an order by George VI who said that during WW II, the aircrew element of the Sqn (or some of it) flew away during an attack and left the ground crew to be captured.

I have heard this 'myth' various times but with 2 different places, Malta and the Far East.

Looking at the history of this Sqn there might be some merit to parts of the story;

1. The Sqn served in both areas

2. The Sqn has never served in the UK

3. THe Sqn was in the Far East when Japanese forces captured Singapore, and other bases (I think, and please correct if wrong :pDT_Xtremez_19: ) where some aircrew were berated for leaving the scene, but later cleared as they protected
the airframes from falling into the Japanese hands.

Does anyone else know of this story, or can someone else add to it or dispel it?

I only ask as this sort of thing interests me (the reason for which I am still trying to fathom), and was wondering if anyone else had any other random RAF trivia floating round in their grey matter?

B

Bluntend

Who? Me?

Have you asked for info over on PPRUNE? If you can stomach the inter-growbag 'banter' and ex-growbag war stories there could be someone on there who knows more about this subject.

Good luck :pDT_Xtremez_27:

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Are you on commission from prune? Thats twice you have now said goto pprune.

B

Bluntend

Thats twice you have now said goto pprune

Well, I've said (and done) many things - not all of them were good ideas, but if its stories from the old and bold of the RAF's yesteryear pprune's the ideal place for you.

Who? Me?

SAC
Bluntend

Thanks for advice, and have ventured to the dark side to seek the wisdom of the elders.

Originally asked here as I wondered if any serving or ex members of 84 were fellow e-goaters (sounds a bit suspect when said like that, ooer Mr. Mainwaring).

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

S

SirPeterHardingsLovechild

Who? me?

You're fairly warm. I have no idea about the 'not allowed back to UK' bit though, it might be one of those myths.

I was in Cyprus serving on 84 Sqn during the 75th Anniversay and the association members came out to visit. Many of them were from the 1950's, but half a dozen were from WWII including one survivor from the Jap POW camp, and also OC 84 Sqn, Wing Commander Arthur Gill.

I'm sure a google search will reveal the escape to Java. I believe the Sqn reformed in Greece and got over run a second time.

More later, I agree this would be better on prune.

My memory of Arthur Gill was his wig nearly falling off as he danced the conga around Chris Kebab, holding on to my wife's tits, from behind.

Try prune, it needs cheering up a bit.

(edited to add:- we posted almost simultaneously there Who? Me?, I suppose I'll have to contribute to that thread now)

(second edit:- I've just been googling and the Greece incident was before Java, and the escape was from Java)

Last edited:
S

SirPeterHardingsLovechild

There will be different versions

The escape from Java was a heroic saga, which made international headlines. But was possibly a bit of propaganda in the style of Rourke's Drift, Charge of the Light Brigade etc.

The groundcrew were left behind for the Japs, and many of them were subsequently killed by the Americans torpedo-ing a Japanese troop/hospital ship

More later

Last edited:

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Aircrew p!ssing off and leaving the Ground Trades in the sh!t?! Must have been a Friday afternoon ... :pDT_Xtremez_31: