• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Aerospace Systems Operator, Aircraft Engineer or Flight operations assistant ?

Dmont

LAC
Hello guys, i'm going to a AFCO in a week but wanted your advice. These are the 3 roles that interest atm. I'm interested in working with aircraft fullstop, but as far as i know it's more hands on with the AMM. Do you do much controlling of aircraft with the ASO or FOA? Also are there many opportunities to change roles later on in your career. For example as a ASO the RAF website says you could progress to Weapon Crewman, what does that actually mean. And Flight operations assistant could you later become a ATC ?

Thanks

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Would not bother with the ASO side of things, limited postings, basically Lincoln and Northumberland. Yes you can go airborne but get in the queue for that one and it can be a long process. As and ex ASO of 28 years please heed the warning. There is a lot of maybe and cans but ask the AFCO for proper answers like postings and future progression in the trade. Whichever Trade you go for you will enjoy the lifestyle but think ahead for what trade gives the for outside employment, no call for Air Defence Radar Operators out here.

Dmont

LAC
Would not bother with the ASO side of things, limited postings, basically Lincoln and Northumberland. Yes you can go airborne but get in the queue for that one and it can be a long process. As and ex ASO of 28 years please heed the warning. There is a lot of maybe and cans but ask the AFCO for proper answers like postings and future progression in the trade. Whichever Trade you go for you will enjoy the lifestyle but think ahead for what trade gives the for outside employment, no call for Air Defence Radar Operators out here.

Alright cheers buddy, won't go for ASO for now just down to AMM and FAO now. But for sure i know i will definitely enjoy what the RAF can offer me :D

Lisvane

LAC
Alright cheers buddy, won't go for ASO for now just down to AMM and FAO now. But for sure i know i will definitely enjoy what the RAF can offer me :D

Don't limit an entire trade on the opinion of one or two people!

I for one had an amazing time in Boulmer working with copies

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Don't limit an entire trade on the opinion of one or two people!

I for one had an amazing time in Boulmer working with copies

My reply was a personal slant on my experience of the Trade. As you know the AFCO would sell you the moon to get the stats up, so I was giving the OP a bit of truth as I see it. Obviously the OP can decide which Trade they go for but a bit of inside information is good. As I said look at the time you leave and transfer those qualifications to civvy street, not a lot of scope so to speak. Data links perhaps, but little else. Also limited postings within the Trade, not the 'See the World' Trade in my opinion. 1 Cyprus tour and 2 Falkland viists and the odd det in 28 years, but enjoyed the whole lifestyle.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
AMM is going to be more hands on and you will get access to higher technologies that in the commercial world, but I suspect the level or depth to which you are exposed to this engineering will be quite limited. This is not important in service, but may be a consideration should you wish to pursue an aeronatical engineering career when you leave.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
You need to think long term, which trade will give you transferable skills after your time in the RAF. As said above, there isn't much call for air defence in the civil world. If you like engineering type stuff, become a spanner monkey, if you like the idea of getting involved in organising aircraft flying type things to do with aircraft, become an Ops monkey.

Dmont

LAC
Thanks guys, is there any opportunity to become a air traffic controller from the FOA role, and do AMM get to travel a lot ?

I went to a AFCO and i forgot to ask him. :(

J Y Kelly

Corporal
The only way to become an Air Traffic Controller from FOA, or virtually any other trade is to apply for a Commission or SNCO Air Traffic Controller. There is a big push on for SNCO Air Traffic Controller at the moment so if you fulfil the requirements why not have a go?

Dmont

LAC
Ok i'll definitely think about it, the only problem i have about being a SNCO, is that i'm 18 and don't really have a lot of experience with leadership and how more experienced personnel will view a sergeant that's 18 .

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Ok i'll definitly think about it, the only problem i have about being a SNCO, is that i'm 18 and don't really have a lot of experience with leadership and how more experienced personnel will view a sergeant that's 18 .

The SNCO course will teach you all that stuff... And the Air Traffic Controllers course will teach you to control. The RAF is a meritocracy, if you are deemed capable, you will get the chance and get promoted accordingly. Don't forget... You can always join as an FOA and re-apply for DE-SNCO ATC at a lat date if they don't think you are quite ready yet.