• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

R.A.F.A, RAFB, SSAFA & Legion Any thoughts?

R

RAFBF

Sad to see some of the comments and perceptions about the RAF's principal charities - I am a life member of RAFA and a regular donor to the RAFBF. I am committed to both charities but - at present - only work on behalf of the RAFBF.
I do have the chance to place views about the Fund to those who run it on our behalf so would welcome any views - and to start off the Mean's Tests.

Yes, there is a means test for people seeking help but both charities are based on helping those in need - the mean's test is supposed to overcome the impact of the welfare visitor who took tea off a tea set worth more than his car! The facilities at the RAFA Respite homes are superb - they are not nursing homes but offer a break in a caring environment. If you can afford to go there - why shouldn't you pay? If you can't then the charities will.

Some people can't afford a holiday but I think that we all deserve to get a break. How do we get round the means test - we shouldn't but when I visit people I tell them that I and they contributed to their charities to help their mates in times of need - if they are now in need then it is there to help them. Neither membership of RAFA nor contributions to the RAFBF confer any entitlement to welfare assistance only an eligibility to ask for that assistance. Both charities exist for the RAF Family and they deserve our support - if they are getting it wrong then lets open the discussion further and then pass it up the line - your comments would be very welcome.