• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quite shocking really!!

garside

LAC
Hiya guys.

Ive been through my application process for the RAF and got my start date before christmas as the 1st april and pre rtc in february some time.

The AFCO then rung me telling me that my date had been brought forward to the 18th of march and my pre rtc date as the 29th jan.

I then got a phone call yesterday saying that there was a spot at Halton for the 4th of february!!

Obviously ive taken it as im ready to get started with my RAF career, but i was quite shocked at how far they have fetched it forward!

Im not complaining at all, in fact im really chuffed at it.

Instead of having about a month to wear my boots in i now have 6 days lol, and im working on my fitness even harder.

I now have my final interview on monday at 3:30, so im gonna get swatting up some more on what i know, im guessing its like the questions i had in my selection interview right?

Anyways, i just thought id make a thread letting you guys know. Dont know if youll be interested or anything lol.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Weedy23

LAC
That's good news! I was hoping they'd bring my date forward a touch, but it's stuck to what it was and I go in next Wednesday.

For your final interview, if you've passed your selection one you should be fine :pDT_Xtremez_30: Just make sure you know your stuff.

Good luck and I'll probably see you in the mess, although I won't actually know it!

garside

LAC
Yea mate, ill have to keep an eye out for you.

Will have to have a way to identify each other for when im in lol.

Im really chuffed about my date, cant believe it!!

Weedy23

LAC
Will have to have a way to identify each other for when im in lol.

Probably not, except I'm one of the girls with short hair! I'll have been there a week when you rock up, so I'll also look like the living dead! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

tag_lincoln

Corporal
Welcome to the world of moving goal posts, get used to it.

I joined many moons ago and was told the Fri that I started the following week, this was before the days of RTC, nothing much has changed on that front then.

G

gemarriott

try to keep the chit chat type stuff to PM folks. We know you are excited but this sort of stuff is best done in private. You can arrange to meet, eachother maybe fall in love, get married have kids and divorce without the world hnging on every word that way.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Oh and well done enjoy your RAF careers:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Weedy23

LAC
It's a 2 day course down at RAF Halton where you get issued your boots, meet the flight staff, get a tour of the base, sample the food and do a fitness test!

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Issued your boots?????? :pDT_Xtremez_34:

So you can break them in before you start i take it? Christ its changed and i only joined in 99.

G

gemarriott

2002 for me and I've never heard of it. Did anyone find it useful?

The consensus seems to be it is a damned good thing. To old sweats who never got the opportunity it smacks of mollycoddling a bit. I must admit that after chatting by PM with a few recruits and instructors on balance my POV on it has changed and now I think "why not? " but I draw the line at taking Mum and Dad along as some recruits seem to do, let them wait till pass out day, no sense in worrying them to soon about little Johnny's conditions:pDT_Xtremez_42:

M

monobrow

So you can break them in before you start i take it? Christ its changed and i only joined in 99.
How many on your flight though did a stretch of time in their Silver Shads for blisters though? There was a group of them in our flight going through RTS

Weedy23

LAC
I found it massively helpful. Put to rest a lot of worries and fears, I had a lot of questions answered and it really made up my mind that it was for me. Definately a good thing, especially for the younger recruits (I'm turning 23 soon).

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
How many on your flight though did a stretch of time in their Silver Shads for blisters though? There was a group of them in our flight going through RTS

Good point Mono. I've nothing against it, i was just a bit shocked when i read it.

Its a good thing to prepare them for RTS, as long as they understand that, things like getting 2 weeks to break in boots, don't always happen. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
It's a 2 day course down at RAF Halton where you get issued your boots, meet the flight staff, get a tour of the base, sample the food and do a fitness test!

When I joined in '87 it was called day 1
I beleive it something that has been brought over not only from the Army but from RAF Cranwell I seem to remember some Pre IOT courses being run

Not a bad thing

P

Portcullis

Mum and Dad on Day 1

Mum and Dad on Day 1

Regarding the parents' visit on Day 1 (Day 00 for us RTS types), we have found that the support the parents give the recruits as a result of seeing what they do has increased. They are warned off that little Jonny is going to be homesick and will accuse the staff of all types of stuff. BUT if Mum has met Sgt ******, the big PTI, she then knows that we are all big and cuddly really (yeah, right):pDT_Xtremez_31:

On a serious side, they see the block, they eat the food, they see other recruits marching (left, right, left) so for the 70% of folk who RTS is the first taste of military life, some of the Mystique is rubbed away.

So in balance, despite being a pain in the @rse to run, it has benefits.

Back to the inital question all I can say is think yourself lucky back when I joined up I was given 24hrs notice and that was without a join date or any pre RTC. I'm still in after a few ok loads of years and wouldn't have missed most of it for the world.