• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question about Halton.

A

A Crusty Demon

I start my phase 1 in Halton next week and i have a few questions i'd like answers for if anyone klnows them.

Will there be internet access for us recruits, like a cafe we have available?

Will i need to bring many civvie clothes?

and what is the policy on weekends to go home?

Cheers

MattBombHead

Sergeant
There is indeed an Internet Suite you can use, you should get your log on details in the first few days.

Weekend wise, you will definitely work the first 3 weekends, with the 4th weekend as 'local leave' for around 4 hours each day that you can leave the RTS site. You will also work the 8th weekend (straight after Ex Blue Warrior).

Every other weekend will have to be earned. If as a Flight/ Intake (or as an individual) it is deemed that you have not performed to the standards required through the week, you can expect to be kept behind for remedial training. Just because this won't be done lightly, don't think that it won't happen.

As for civvys, I wouldn't bring loads of stuff, you won't have massive amounts of 'social time' and the majority of that you'll be in denims. Plus, the more you take to RTS, the harder it is to keep your locker tidy.

A

A Crusty Demon

Ok, cheers guys :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Yes Das, whenever i get chance ill be on here, whining about how im getting beasted haha!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Ok, cheers guys :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Yes Das, whenever i get chance ill be on here, whining about how im getting beasted haha!

Ahh but for all the bollockings, beastings, etc, etc I'll bet you a shiney liney pound that as soon as you're at your first unit you'll look back with fondness and a big smile on your face to those weeks you spend on RTS. I know I do. :)

A

A Crusty Demon

Yeah i'm sure i will! Really looking foward to starting it now, im sure it will be an experience ill remember forever, hopefully for the rightr reasons.

A

A Crusty Demon

Would anyone here have any tips for me which will help during my time at Halton, perhaps small details such as bed space presentation or things which nco's will expect from me?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Would anyone here have any tips for me which will help during my time at Halton, perhaps small details such as bed space presentation or things which nco's will expect from me?

One tip only you need - do what you're told, when you're told, how you're told. Nail that down, life at RTS will become easy.

Good luck.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant

It's been far too long since I went through Recruit Training - 25 years - but the basics remain the same.

The NCOs are there to help you pass. You have already passed selection. When you arrive at Halton you will be an Airman in the Royal Air Force. Listen to everything your NCOs tell you they will try their best to help you graduate. Don't try and fight the system - the system will win. Give everything 100% effort. Most of all retain a sense of humour and focus on the prize.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
One tip only you need - do what you're told, when you're told, how you're told. Nail that down, life at RTS will become easy.

Good luck.

Sooo true. Don't try to go above and beyond that. You may be doing it for all the right reasons trying to make yourself look keen but you will simply have the opposite effect. Like Warwick says do EXACTLY what your told when your told to do it and it'll be an easier ride. The only deviation from that that I can think of is your military timings. Always be where your supposed to be 5 mins before your supposed to be there! Best of luck to you mate.

So the 4th weekend is local leave only? I had read a post on here only a few weeks ago that said local leave was implemented a couple of years ago but then scrapped?

A

Aaoi

Yep. It's back.

A VERY recent amendment to the programme...
In effect from now? May need to amend my house sitters plans lol :)

Just out of curiosity is there a reason for the amendment? Were recruits struggling or is it just to get a bit more teaching time into the course?

Dragoon

Sergeant
Always be where your supposed to be 5 mins before your supposed to be there! Best of luck to you mate.

Do Regt timings still apply, in that you need to be there 5 minutes before 5 minutes before your supposed to be there?

We were told 'The time you need to be there' or 'You need to be there Regt time.'

W

Winter8905

Hey I go down for basic training in just over a month and I have a question..

The fitness test on the second day...am I correct in thinking it'll be a similar test to the one we passed in PRTC? with the expectations that we get at least what we got at the PRTC with the view on getting more?

Hey I go down for basic training in just over a month and I have a question..

The fitness test on the second day...am I correct in thinking it'll be a similar test to the one we passed in PRTC? with the expectations that we get at least what we got at the PRTC with the view on getting more?

It should be the "standard RAF fitness test", which involves the bleep test (shuttles), press ups and sit ups.
The exact criteria is dependent on gender and age.

Do Regt timings still apply, in that you need to be there 5 minutes before 5 minutes before your supposed to be there?

We were told 'The time you need to be there' or 'You need to be there Regt time.'

DS staff expect you to be there (in formation) 5 mins before time stated. However, your squad/flight leader will certainly want you there 5 mins before (the 5 mins before) to ensure you are ready in time.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
In effect from now? May need to amend my house sitters plans lol :)

Just out of curiosity is there a reason for the amendment? Were recruits struggling or is it just to get a bit more teaching time into the course?

There is a valid reason for the extra weekend, and it will be fully explained to you when you arrive.

As for what you can do on local leave, again, you'll find out when you arrive.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
DS staff expect you to be there (in formation) 5 mins before time stated. However, your squad/flight leader will certainly want you there 5 mins before (the 5 mins before) to ensure you are ready in time.

Jusfer the record, and it may have changed, this practice was really discouraged at Sleaford Tech.

If you had to be somewhere at a certain time, thats when you were there or only really just before. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense in every respect.