• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Public Sector Employment Prior to Discharge

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi,

I am leaving the RAF in Apr 15 on my 22 and have been given the heads-up by my wife about a an E2 Civil Service job that is coming up at where I am currently based. It sounds absolutely ideal for me as I would be very good at it and deals with a lot of factors I dealt with in my service career, despite the relatively low wages (it starts at about £16K so with my fully commuted AFPS75 pension, it will take me to around £25K). I emailed the contact who has informed me that while they would like the post filling at the earliest opportunity, it may not instantly be possible due to the circumstances of the right candidate. I am due to finish work in the first few days after Xmas grant, using my annual leave until around Feb 15, have the remainder of my resettlement leave from mid-Feb until mid-Mar when I commence my Terminal Leave. My question is, with all of this in mind, were I to apply for this CS post, when would I be able to realistically commence working for them if I was selected? I am currently at a civilian location doing a resettlement course so can't contact the Discharge Clk at work or the Resettlement Advisor on camp. I know that it's actually a few months until I actually leave but this job is perfect despite the money, so I don't believe that is actually a problem for me and I don't want to dip out as it could be a massively long time before this post, or a similar one comes up again and I want to make sure I get my foot in the door to make my transition into civilian life a hell of a lot easier.

I seem to remember hearing about a scheme whereby you could leave the RAF up to 3 months prior to your actual discharge date and still get your full pension and gratuity, if you had an offer of employment. Is this actually the case?

ANY help/guidance/advice given is hugely appreciated and gratefully received.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If jumping over to the CS its hard to hide the fact that you are still in the RAFs employment. However allowing at least 3 weeks for the recruitment process to take place, another couple for authority to offer, might be longer due to Xmas break, you will be into January which is only a three month wait. Whilst this is quite a long period it is the same as my current notice period so it wouldn't be unusual for an employer to wait this long.

With regards the job I'd seriously reconsider it, you are probably taking home over 2k a month with little or no commuting costs, free dental, uniform, pension and lots of little things chucked in that you probably don't notice.

Your pension will be about 700 a month and will use up most of your tax allowance, your take home salary, after tax, NI and pension contribution is going to be around 900 a month, out of this you're going to have a surprising number of little costs that you didn't have before.

If the job is only worth 16k then you may find it difficult stepping down into such a role, it is more likely than not that you will be better than your supervisors and managers which when added to the type of work you will be doing may be a very frustrating place to be.

The other issue, if you're not expecting to become a CS lifer, is the impact of taking a lower salary on how you get to earning a decent wage, most employers will ask you what salary you're on, and being honest you will tell them or they will find out as it is included as a standard item on most references, this will form a part of how they frame your suitability for the 30k job you are hoping to get.

Another issue you might not thought of is your age, at 40 or thereabouts is that when you are applying for Junior Management positions most of your competitors are going to be about 10 years your junior, seen as fresher and more dynamic than a middle aged individual who's background they just don't understand. Unfortunately ageism is rife, the longer you leave getting into the wider civi workforce the more this will apply.

Of course if you want to be CS lifer or are think you want to take an entry level position and will be happy doing that kind of work for a few years and build back up then please ignore my advice above.

Last edited:

Hot Shoes

Corporal
In addition to what has been said, despite the line manager wanting to fill the post soonest, it doesn't happen that quick. The CS are notoriously slow at the application and employment process. I have recently made an internal move, that took 3 months from start to finish; I hear 6 months is not unusual for an external appoinment. I suspect you are aware there are 4 stages of advertising the job and you cannot apply until stage 4, external recruitment.

Good luck

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
All of the above delays apply, as also does the time taken to get through the security clearance process....... Yup, it doesn't matter what your clearance now, the CS will put you through the clearance process again..... and that takes time... Be aware also that there are rules about earning 2 pensions at the same time; I forget the details now but even if you start before your discharge date you won't be credited for your new CS pension until, I think, your discharge date.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
16k? Warwick I don't know you and have probably never met you (and sadly probably never will to be honest) but from purely your posting history on here I'd double that figure as a minimum as an initial wage with bags of space to grow that as well...

Umbo

SAC
I cannot agree more with Vim. I don't know your specific circumstances, but 16k is more suited to a part-time position!

I was advised never to take my pension into account when negotiating wages, and any perspective employer who did, was not for me.

13 years later, and bags of hindsight, I can confirm it was the best bit of advice I got from the CTP.

You possess skills you don't know you have, be brave and try your luck. Another bit of advice was always aim to earn your age. I doubled my discharge wage within 18 months, and my current package is older than me. The pension is nearly halved by tax, but still keeps me in gin.

The CS is alright if you want it, but you could do so much better. Deep breaths and be brave!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
16k? Warwick I don't know you and have probably never met you (and sadly probably never will to be honest) but from purely your posting history on here I'd double that figure as a minimum as an initial wage with bags of space to grow that as well...

Thanks for the compliment Vim - we haven't met however we do have very good mutual acquaintances - however I live in an area where £30K+ posts are thin on the ground, not without a 30 mile commute anyway. My wife is in a £30K plus job, in HR, close to where we live but she is very much the exception to the rule and is fully CIPD qualified with absolutely shedloads of experience and has been highlighted as a flyer. The company she works for are absolutely huge and pay very well for where we live. As contracts are still to be negotiated for what is planned to happen next, their future here is very much up in the air and are not employing any more people - not in the short-medium term anyway - so that kind of negates that path. My actual discharge goal is to join the Police. They are not recruiting, again not in the short to medium term, so for now that path is shut. Relocation is not on the table - we love where we live, we feel privileged to live here, we are settled and any move away from where we are would have negative effects that would unfortunatley outweigh any positives, including a couple of extra K a year. I view the CS, certainly in this post that is being looked at, as a short to medium term employment. Whether or not I would view it as long term - at this stage I purely don't know.

I know this will sound exceptionally trite but - at this stage - I don't view the amount of money as a main, driving issue - ultimately I need to find a job to be in a postion to find others.Sure, it's a comedown from what I am on now, especially as a level 7 high band Cpl, but for 37 hours a week, no Ord Cpl, Duty Clk, no stupid dets, no SGF, no "we need you in at 0430 on Sunday then again at 0030 on Tuesday", being treated like a human being, in a familiar environment with relatively stress-free employment and life with proper security, it isn't bad....is it? Sure, earning money akin to what I am on now PLUS my pension would be ideal, but if the jobs aren't there, then my hands are tied a bit. But thank you all for the advice, information and experiences so far - I am grateful

Last edited:

br9mp81

Corporal
i started with the CS thinking that i would find something better and move on,23 years later still in it,its not as good as it was and T&C have/are being hammered,however it is a job and once your in move on and upwards and blag all the training etc you can.

gray

Sergeant
Just done this myself - interview was in Jan, started in July. Seemed to be no problem earning 2 pensions at the same time, but DBS were quite clueless about most things ! That was through an external recruitment campaign though.

Last edited:

foxOneFive

Corporal
It all depends on how much money you need to enjoy life and pay bills/morg etc.

I done my 22 and then went civvy on the same camp for 16k. 10 minute pushbike ride to work, 9-5, no petrol/parking fees, easy job that I loved.
Fortunately for me my mortgage was paid around the time I left.

Some of my mates are in high paid aero jobs (good luck to them) and some of them
Need to earn mega bucks to keep their heads above water. An hour drive to work
And back though? no thanks.
The camp I was at then shut “there’s a thing” But I then found another hideously paid
Job that I like even more.
I’ve never been so “rich” relatively. Pay any debts off with your wedge and if you don’t have much going out you don’t need much inbound.
Advice to the OP. If it’s going to be a easy/happy life and you can live on it….go for it.
And do like I do and crack open a cold one around 1710 when all your high flying mates are still stuck on the M25.
I may have the old fashioned mentality of someone who joined up in the early 80’s
But that was always the plan (do your 22 then retire with an easy job and pension at 40)
Appreciate everyone’s circumstances are different (and yes I have been divorced twice)