• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prtc - what happened to me

A

AshBen89

Hello All,

I have been lucky enough to be raised in an RAF family so the PRTC was everything i expected it to be if not better. I am eager to get in to my training but have 6 weeks to wait. This is a good opportunity for me to get on top of my fitness more...by god i know i need too.

If you are foolish enough to agree to take the train i would think again. Most of the lads including myself, had to wake up as early as 4 in order to get the various amounts of trains we did. Now think, you will be doing alot of running, marching, presentations and small test when you get to Halton. Sitting there and yawning as the corporal gives you a brief is definately the wrong impression to give. MY avice is to drive or try and get there a day before so you can rest up. After all you want this more than anything.

I was amazed that alot of people talked when the Corporal did. The best advice i can give you is to shut up and do as your told. When marching DONT look around...as soon as the Corporal picks you up on his radar...its hard to get off.

The fitness test at Finlay gym is harder then i expected it to be. I think about 50 people went on PRTC and only 40 made it through so make sure you work on your fitness alot. The bleep test was hard for me but i managed to do it...push ups and sit ups are easy. You want to aim for the RAFFT scores of 20 pressups and 35 sit ups to impress!

The food and accomodation is military issue and as an all you can eat service...take full advantage of it! The barrack blocks do what it say on the tin and "house" you. Look after them and they will look after you. Make sure you clean as you go as it makes it easier for your small inspection. It is a very good idea to start using your initiative and working as team now as you will be relying on each other alot during phase 1 training.

Take what the corporals say on the chin. They arent against you and dont hate you. Its there job to shout as they are trying to turn you into military personel. If you dont like authority then the RAF isnt for you. Give them respect and you will get it back but most importantly do what you are told first time and everytime...and adhere to the "five minuite" rule. If the corporal says i want you outside in formation by 13:00hrs it means he wants you there at 12:55hrs. Dont **** about or he will **** you about...simples.

If you dedicate yourself then when you get your boots...you start to feel like you are part of it all. Its surreal. It hasnt struk me yet that i am 6 weeks away from being a memeber of the Royal Air Force. The stores down at Halton are plush and clean...tidy up after yourself. If the boots you get given dont fit make sure you tell the corporal as you wont get another pair.

I am currently wearing my boots now and they are breaking in... as comfy as anything!

You will get the opportunity to meet various other ranks (sarges, officers, sqn leader, station cmmnd etc) and you will have ample opportunity to ask any questions you may have knockign around in your head...ASK THEM! no matter how silly they are. You will often find the silliest questions (or most important) is the one you dont ask. There will be a wealth of knowledge and experience at Halton so abuse it.

All in all, keep your head down,your nose clean, do as you are told and enjoy yourself. I am Halton sick at the moment and just want to get back in there to start my training and career.

If you want to know anything else just PM me or comment on this post.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
AshBen,

Thanks very much for the post about what to expect at PRTC. As a recruiter, we can only give so much information about it, so it's good to see things from the candidate's perspective. PRTC certainly isn't a fcukabout and many a potential airmen has fallen foul at this stage, even for things like attitude, etc so there's plenty of food for thought there for future recruits.

Thanks again and good luck.

S

squipper01

There are some good points in your post.

Key points for training:-

1. Get Fit, Fitter the better !
2. Keep your mouth shut (dont gob off).
3. Never be late.
4. Remember they dont need you, there is always people who want your place.
5. In training it's bit tongue, head down and get on with it.
6. In training be the grey man ish, let them know who you are but only because they can put the name to the face.
7. Look around your group when you get there, every group has a idiot who will take the flak if you dont spot them in the first day then it's you.
8. Once your on the Bus out of RAF Halton, you will look back and think "That was Easy".
9. You make very good mates.
10. It's not that many weeks of your life.
11. Several years later you can go on about how the training is nothing like you went through, and they let anyone in !

Most important thing to remember to get to RAF Halton and pass is a
achievement.

A

AshBen89

Couldnt agree more.

As the Corporal sid to us when briefing about Respect "Its you who wants to join our little club"

I think them words will stick with me forever....as well as "bring your determination...or you will be reflighted"

All in all it was a brilliant experience and i am eager to get back in and make myself known...for the right reasons.

:pDT_Xtremez_14: be part of the crew soon :)

Thanks for the heads-up AshBen most appreciated.

Did you do a 1.5mile run at halton or was it just the bleep test you had to pass?

BTW well done and good luck!

A

AshBen89

You have to do a bleep test, sit ups and push ups. You are advised to work on running short distances as quickly as you can as phase 1 training has alot of bleep tests, circuits and very few marathons around the woods etc

They also dont care if you are a weighlifitnf knuckle head as you wont do any weights. Its mainly aerobic and core excersises. If you can do push ups, sit ups, dorsal raises, tricep dips and step ups...you are laughing!

check out the Halton site it is very useful

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton/aboutus/prerecruittrainingcourseprtc.cfm

Last edited:
D

Dribble

Just been given my dates for PRTC of 5th/6th of may. Looking forward to it, only bit im not too sure about is the bleep test - as there is no way for me to actually measure any progress - I have managed to find a copy of a bleep test but not sure if it the same one the raf uses. Ive basically been running a fair bit but rather than doing the 2.4 - 3 km run I did to practice for PJFT ive been doing 1.5 runs at a faster pace just trying to get some speed into my legs! Also have been doing laps of a local football pitch jogging the length ways and sprinting the width ways (fatlek training if my memory from a level sports studies serves me right :pDT_Xtremez_14:) . Anything you can share about the bleep test?

seanrw

LAC
What I did was find an empty car park. Car parking spaces are usually 2.5 metres wide. The msft(bleep test) is 20 metres. Download a 20 metre version and make sure you can get to level 9.10 at least

A

AshBen89

Go to this link
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applicationzone/airmanwoman_fitnessfeature.cfm

It has the actual bleep test on there that you can download to CD or phone. Measure out your 20 meters and press play.

When at PRTC as soon as we hit the required 9.10 we were told to stop by the corporal as this is the RAF requirement.

By all means keep running your long distance as well..i have started cycling to work (15 miles in all) each day and thats just to help me get some power in my legs.

With the bleep test by the way... everytime you get to the line wait for the bleep as this is what you will do at Halton...The rest is the killer so work on this as much as you can.

:)

V

Vix134

Is there a big gaggle of you vying for room during the MSFT, or is there plenty of room? I'm a bit paranoid I'll end up being barged out the way or get stuck behind someone, etc!

Also, I don't know if you know, but do the clothes required have to be completely plain? E.g. tracksuit bottoms - all one colour, or brands/stripes allowed? I'm probably thinking too much into these things but I'd like to make a good impression...nobody wants to be picked up on something that simple straight away, after all!

J

jonny_5

Is there a big gaggle of you vying for room during the MSFT, or is there plenty of room? I'm a bit paranoid I'll end up being barged out the way or get stuck behind someone, etc!

Also, I don't know if you know, but do the clothes required have to be completely plain? E.g. tracksuit bottoms - all one colour, or brands/stripes allowed? I'm probably thinking too much into these things but I'd like to make a good impression...nobody wants to be picked up on something that simple straight away, after all!

I had enough room around me and even more as alot of people dropped / got called out!

It got very hot in the gym I wouldn't wear tracksuit trousers, short shorts!

A

Aaoi

There were loads of us so they split us into two groups so you get plenty of room dont worry :)

I agree though, it is mega hot in the gym and you will want comfortable shorts on, mine were striped, as were a lot of peoples so again dont worry. Just do your best to fit the brief, if they are shorts and dark, they will be fine. Just relax and follow the instructions, you'll be cool, and remember 120% effort, if you miss the line, sprint for the next one and just keep telling yourself you can do it! Any q's just message me :)

A

AshBen89

I agree... shorts is a must!

You get split into two groups and will have plenty of room. :)

D

Dribble

I got back from PRTC yesterday with a nice pair of boots to show! Very good course, was tough but fun. The fitness is a must i had no issues really except from the sit ups mainly because i had trained a different way to how the PTI's want you to do it and it resulted in my last 5 being discounted so only got 32 instead of the 35 limit as long as you train hard and follow the guides you get sent in your pack you will be fine! Practice the bleep test as we had a lad fail who was adamant about his ability to run long distances - and had previously served in the army . You get instructions you follow them simple, you dont follow them and you'll have an NCO or PTI shouting at you once theyve given one or two warnings to anyone in the group they start to come down hard on anyone who continues to ignore (whether intentional or not) the rules.

Your given a taster of what RTC will be like and although am sure PRTC is no were near the intensity of RTC you can make up your own mind very easily as to whether this is what you want to do.

As for me i dont have a definite start date yet but i believe my AFCO told me 6th july so will ring them monday morning to find out until that date ive got some boots to break in! Best of luck to anyone who is going on the PRTC !!

A

Aaoi

I got back from PRTC yesterday with a nice pair of boots to show! Very good course, was tough but fun. The fitness is a must i had no issues really except from the sit ups mainly because i had trained a different way to how the PTI's want you to do it and it resulted in my last 5 being discounted so only got 32 instead of the 35 limit as long as you train hard and follow the guides you get sent in your pack you will be fine! Practice the bleep test as we had a lad fail who was adamant about his ability to run long distances - and had previously served in the army . You get instructions you follow them simple, you dont follow them and you'll have an NCO or PTI shouting at you once theyve given one or two warnings to anyone in the group they start to come down hard on anyone who continues to ignore (whether intentional or not) the rules.

Your given a taster of what RTC will be like and although am sure PRTC is no were near the intensity of RTC you can make up your own mind very easily as to whether this is what you want to do.

As for me i dont have a definite start date yet but i believe my AFCO told me 6th july so will ring them monday morning to find out until that date ive got some boots to break in! Best of luck to anyone who is going on the PRTC !!
Well played for passing! Hope you get your start date soon. Just out of curiosity, did many people fail on your PRTC? We had about 7 fail on ours. I was suprised how few people hadn't attempted a bleep test before arriving, it's a must.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Going back to the OP point on punctuality...If you're ever lucky enough to attend a Red Flag exercise you'll come to love the dit '5 minutes early is on time ladies and gents'...Follow that little rule and you won't go far wrong IMO...

D

Dribble

Well played for passing! Hope you get your start date soon. Just out of curiosity, did many people fail on your PRTC? We had about 7 fail on ours. I was suprised how few people hadn't attempted a bleep test before arriving, it's a must.

Roughly about 5 failed off top of my head, was quite a large group. Ladies ran first then 2 large groups of the males. Too an earlier post, my MSFT was quite a gaggle and at one point the PTI had a right go at the guy next me cos i had to jump over one of his legs as it swung round to avoid going flat on my face, so be aware! After that i paced myself one step infront of the guys next to me so they wernt going to chop me! Ive been told 6th july for RTC just awaiting my final interview for the definite go ahead and to hand my notice in at work ! :pDT_Xtremez_30: