• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PRTC Fitness Success!

Insight

LAC
I heard that out of 44 people only 3 failed the fitness tests on 4th April.
Hope to see you all on the 6th and 20th of July! I can't wait to take my oath!

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
Unfit, seems to be a trend with people thinking they'll get in without the effort, we're also seeing a few day 0 failures on basic even though they passed on PRTC.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

LilStill

Sergeant
I get to speak to a lot of the failures after they do so - in most cases it is failure to prepare. More than a few don't even attempt the bleep test or replicate it on a treadmill, assuming a basic standard of fitness is one you can maintain without doing any!

R

rhysowen

Hey I was one of the people on that PRTC that passed :) yea only 3 failed. All on the pressups believe it or not?

MattBombHead

Sergeant
100% of the RAF FT for age and gender.

Don't pass? Your application is stopped for6 months, then your into the interview stage agin, assuming there's still a requirement for your trade at that time...

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

F

forcesman

I'm at the stage where I'm relatively comfortable, but I think I need to kick on now to increase my times and numbers.

I'm doing 1.5 miles in 11.36, with a large proportion of the run (outside) on a slight uphill gradient and a further part of the run on a higher gradient, so I think I may be okay there. I'm doing around 35 sit ups in a minute, although will now be stating to do them 'by the book' from the RAF site. A question about press ups; I'm currently doing 41 in a minute but am unsure if I am cheating. Legs no more than 30 cm apart, that's fine, but what about the distance between arms/hands? I have big and wide shoulders and have quite a wide base, is this allowed?

Bleep test be starting end of this week to see where I am in that.

F

forcesman

Yeah I seen this, but the guy in the picture has his hands close together almost under his shoulder blades. Now, it's a big difference between doing a press up like this and doing the way I do it - with my hands/arms quite wide apart and forward of my head. It doesn't specify this aspect, only saying 'comfortable' and hands pointing forward. Don't want to show up on the day and have my technique brought into question and find I'm falling on my face after five press ups.

EDIT - Also, doesn't it seem like the test is a little dis-proportionate? 19 press ups in a minute seems a little too less whilst 32 sit ups in a minute seems a touch on the high side? Whatever, it's in the rules I suppose, so that's what must be done.

Last edited:

84scouse

SAC
Yeah I seen this, but the guy in the picture has his hands close together almost under his shoulder blades. Now, it's a big difference between doing a press up like this and doing the way I do it - with my hands/arms quite wide apart and forward of my head. It doesn't specify this aspect, only saying 'comfortable' and hands pointing forward. Don't want to show up on the day and have my technique brought into question and find I'm falling on my face after five press ups.

EDIT - Also, doesn't it seem like the test is a little dis-proportionate? 19 press ups in a minute seems a little too less whilst 32 sit ups in a minute seems a touch on the high side? Whatever, it's in the rules I suppose, so that's what must be done.

hi forcesman... 32 situps in a minute is pretty easy... you don't have to go right up, you just have to touch your knee tops with your elbows, and of course, sit ups are generally much easier to do than press-ups for most. I agree though that the form for press ups is a little vague.. all it says is hands should be "shoulder width" apart... so I basically keep my hands beneath my shoulders, and tuck my elbows in as much as I can to my sides- if you know what I mean? and make sure I lower my chest to approx 4" off the floor... (I sometimes put an Argos catalogue underneath myself and make sure I touch it!) I also do some wide arm press ups on occasion too, which can help! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

F

forcesman

Hi mate, does it say shoulder width apart on the RAF website or in the documentation that you received? On the RAF website it doesn't specify ANY distance or position of the hands/arms, just that they be 'comfortable'? Sorry to keep on guys, but for me anyway, there is a BIG difference between my hands/arms in line with my shoulders in terms of how many I can do than with my hands/arms in a much wider place. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

LilStill

Sergeant
The RAFFT brief states shoulder width apart. I really can't comment on whether there are acceptable limits between 'shoulder-width' and your press up actually becoming a wide-arm press-up - I'm not a PTI. Your best bet is to practice both and then see how it plays out. I appreciate you may find it difficult, using a different style, however 20 press-ups in a minute is not hard in any position, including your hands in a diamond shape, so with practice you should not have an issue regardless of which style you end up using.

D

dozyscopie1

After my fitness test a few weeks ago the PTI told us that he had recently been told that we could put our hands as wide apart as we liked. As long as you go down far enough the press up will count.

F

forcesman

After my fitness test a few weeks ago the PTI told us that he had recently been told that we could put our hands as wide apart as we liked. As long as you go down far enough the press up will count.

That's a huge relief. I'm not a fatso or anything, but I have coat hanger shoulders, I'm very shoulder heavy. To complete even a dozen press ups with my hands in between shoulder width is very difficult and I'll just crumple like one of those Empire walking things from Star Wars. With my hands just outside shoulder width apart I can comfortably do over 19, so no worries there.

Thanks for the info guys.