• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Private Schooling in California.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've been looking at options regarding my Son's education for when we start living near Edwards AFB, CA. Education standards vary considerably on a State by State basis, even a County basis so it can be time consuming researching options. There are 2 maybe 3 Public options available which are ranked around 7 - 8 / 10 (with generally very good parental reviews unless the odd one has an axe to grind) and many of the posted Families send their children to them, the other option would be a Private School.

Now as this part of the Antelope Valley is mainly made up of industry rooted in aerospace, this reflects in how they structure the education, in the main case it's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) although I imagine that as the Private Schools are religious based (Christian or Catholic) they may not structure it that way. However, the Private Schools that are used are of a high standard and apparently fully prepare the child for later life including Leadership, Respect etc and many end up as the top 5% when moving up to Highschool and onto College / University.

Now, I am not a Religious man but I wouldn't forbid my Son from being as such providing he had a balanced outlook. His education is a top priority of mine (as is his happiness through Childhood and beyond) but I would appreciate a different view, so what would you do?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've been looking at options regarding my Son's education for when we start living near Edwards AFB, CA. Education standards vary considerably on a State by State basis, even a County basis so it can be time consuming researching options. There are 2 maybe 3 Public options available which are ranked around 7 - 8 / 10 (with generally very good parental reviews unless the odd one has an axe to grind) and many of the posted Families send their children to them, the other option would be a Private School.

Now as this part of the Antelope Valley is mainly made up of industry rooted in aerospace, this reflects in how they structure the education, in the main case it's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) although I imagine that as the Private Schools are religious based (Christian or Catholic) they may not structure it that way. However, the Private Schools that are used are of a high standard and apparently fully prepare the child for later life including Leadership, Respect etc and many end up as the top 5% when moving up to Highschool and onto College / University.

Now, I am not a Religious man but I wouldn't forbid my Son from being as such providing he had a balanced outlook. His education is a top priority of mine (as is his happiness through Childhood and beyond) but I would appreciate a different view, so what would you do?

The majority of schools in this country are faith based so would it be any different to what he's used to now?

If I had my way all faith schools would be abolished but that's never going to happen, so we have to put up with what's out there. I read somewhere that catholic schools are more disciplined and provide a better all round education.