• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Privacy?

CIS Tech

Corporal
What is the current E-Goat policy on keeping details such as email addresses private? I assume you don't routinely sell email lists.....

I only ask because I have started to receive a lot of spam in my military inbox and E-Goat is the only site to which I have registered using that email address.

Obviously I am exploring other avenues so don't take this as me singling out the site; it is an information gathering excercise. :pDT_Xtremez_29:

T

The Masked Geek

You may be better asking if the database has been compromised recently as I doubt a "military" site would sell out its members.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
E-Goat does not pass on any details of its members to third parties and our database has not been comprimised.

Hope that helps.

beowulf

Sergeant
You could also be the target of an "automated dialer".

I worked for a company where they gave me a 5 letter username on my email (initial plus my surname).

Programs can generate email addresses at random against the domain and fire off messages. Most providers will bounce a message back if the user does not exist so that address can then be excluded in the future.

A bot stumbled upon my email address as it was very short and started to spam me as it never got an error message back on mine.

I worked for a lady who married a Swede and took his predictably Swedish [long] name. She never had the problems I had with my email.

Just an idea, it could not be anyone actually selling anything - you could maybe just have been found by an automatic dialer.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I only ask because I have started to receive a lot of spam in my military inbox and E-Goat is the only site to which I have registered using that email address.

When you say 'Military Address', do you mean one that has been granted to you through whatever your IT section calls itself these days or one which you have set-up yourself (Yahoo, Orange etc) and have designated for receiving correspondence from E-goat?

I only ask as if it is the latter then most Spam generator bots should be able to come up with a match, (Along with a million other no matches) for example if your email address is.....

Michael1@BTconnect.co.uk

Then most bots will eventually generate that particular address plus several million similar examples. Replying to such an email even if it's too tell them to **** Off, confirms that you own that address and hence receive a ****load more Spam in the future.

CIS Tech

Corporal
When you say 'Military Address', do you mean one that has been granted to you through whatever your IT section calls itself these days or one which you have set-up yourself (Yahoo, Orange etc) and have designated for receiving correspondence from E-goat?

By "military address" I mean my military SMTP email address made up of my PUID and the camp I'm currently at i.e. [name][initial][3 digit number]@[RAFCamp].mod.uk

Which is why I ask. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited: