• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prague Advice

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think I have settled on a destination to blow my Easyjet voucher on. I have ID'd that I can go to Prague on 20th Dec coming back on 23rd Dec...Do the Xmas markets, drink a bit and see a bit of snow before returning back to the tropical SW for xmas in T-**** and shorts.

All I know about Prague is where it is. I need to know about:

- Transfer from airport to middle of New Town/central bit
- Any good hotel tips
- What else is there to do in Prague aside from the Xmas markets (I have a 13 and 9 YO with me...oh and t'wife)

Thanks in Advance

I think I have settled on a destination to blow my Easyjet voucher on. I have ID'd that I can go to Prague on 20th Dec coming back on 23rd Dec...Do the Xmas markets, drink a bit and see a bit of snow before returning back to the tropical SW for xmas in T-**** and shorts.

All I know about Prague is where it is. I need to know about:

- Transfer from airport to middle of New Town/central bit
- Any good hotel tips
- What else is there to do in Prague aside from the Xmas markets (I have a 13 and 9 YO with me...oh and t'wife)

Thanks in Advance

Consider the Unitas Hotel - the former KGB/Secret Police HQ. Very close to the centre and attractions.....

Transfer by tram, very efficient. You can get tickets at airport, but when you get on the tram make sure you 'frank' them to ensure the ticket is live. Ticket collectors do travel trying to catch tourists, and the fine isn't cheap.
Czech food is very nice, Pilsner Urquell should not be a stranger either!
Anthropoid, on at the cinema at the moment, occurred there, and was very sobering when we visited the actual crypt. Your lads will find it sad, but that war was cruel.
The palace is worth a look see, and a meal on one of the boats will entertain. Karlstein (sp?) castle is beautiful, and they do bus trips for that. Terrezine is an old POW camp, but time is limited so don't use all your time doing the sad stuff.
Cafe Ucerta, on the palace side of the river is good for food too.
Remember to touch the gold bit on King Charles bridge and make a wish. Both times I did they came true!
Crystal used to be cheap, but that may have changed now.

Last edited:

Entropy

Sergeant
Another place I love, especially in the winter, but it is very cold with really chilling easterly winds. Boots and thermals are a must. Easy to get around with trams and an underground. Going in Dec means hearty food coupled with alcohol so a win win there. As always, get out the tourist haunts to find some decent food and drink at reasonable prices.

Cross the river over Charles bridge, you can go up the tower at the main city end. Walk up the hill to the cathedral and palace. Coming down there is Krčma "U sedmi Švábů" a medieval bar in the vaults under the building with roaring fire and good traditional food.

Go to the old town square to see the astronomical clock.

Go to the municipal building, there's a café on the left and a restaurant on the right. It's really an amazing place to stop for a drink. In the basement there is the Americky Bar that’s worth a punt with a reasonable set menu.

Dont forget Wensleslass square and ask the Mrs if she wants to consider getting some crystal glass as some bargains can be found.

Finally if you are up to it Zizkov at night sounds fun with 300 bars in 2 square miles

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Fabulous place to visit.
The children will love the market square, clock, horse rides, coffee & ice cream etc.
We took ours when they were 9 and 6 and, (being well behaved), everyone made a genuine fuss of them.
At that time we stayed (as did many Bruggenites) at Pension Irene, a guest house close by, with a cheap tramride into the capital. Hope its still going...
A walk over Charles Bridge and get the childrens charactatures in charcoal, local food etc
And dont miss a nightime trip on the river - free meal and drinks for the kids at the time...
Fantastic memories, thats why we did it 3 times.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Great place to visit! I echo all of the above suggestions.You can also have a guided tour where you are taken round in a vintage car (you see them parked up in the old town and just hire one), Mrs Ted and I went round in a 1960s Skoda Felicia open top sports car (even though it was winter).

Tedlooney

Sergeant
Transfer by tram, very efficient. You can get tickets at airport, but when you get on the tram make sure you 'frank' them to ensure the ticket is live. Ticket collectors do travel trying to catch tourists, and the fine isn't cheap.

Are you sure the tram goes all the way to the airport?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks so far to all. Having researched it there doesn't seem to be snow until January there which made the kids moan but other than that it looks like a solution. I am now sifting through dozens of accommodation options...it seems like getting an apartment would be the way ahead with, even at that time of year, a 2-room apartment in New Town or Lesser Town costing 180 for 3 nights.

Any more gen still gratefully received.