• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please help

L

legogirl

Hi, I'm currently serving in the RAF. My question is where do I stand with the RAF is I declare myself bankrupt? DO I get discharged?

Thanks

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
I believe you cannot do certain jobs being a bankrupt, but not sure about the RAF or what the score would be if you are currently serving?

Either way, it sounds like you have some serious money probs, which need sorting. Declaring bankruptcy is not an easy cop out!

Might I suggest, before it gets any worse seek some independent professional advice on how to pay back your debt, Citizens Advice for example?
I am not sure if you have to declare being so in debt...it could attract subversives for example, so could become a security issue.

If you face up to it now, which you have by taking the 1st step in seeking advice, I would personally approach your line manager/boss (whomever is the most approachable) and ask them to assist and advise. Tough I know, but its gonna be a rocky road anyway!

There are others on here who can advise with the rules and regs etc where the RAF are concerned, and who can help far more than I, but good luck and there is an end of the road.

D

M

Mrs_Monobrow

We had serious money problems reach a head a couple of years ago and went to the citizens advice, they were very helpful but progress was slow. We also spoke to someone at ssafa, its all confidential, and they gave us some great advice. In the end we got it resolved by going with a debt management programme. They take over everything, you have no more contact with the people you owe, its all done through them. They got all interest frozen and sorted it out so we were paying what we can afford. Nowadays we dont even think about it as its all taken care of by them.

On another note though, i wouldnt mention anything to anyone you work with. Hubby had some money paid into the wrong account for a det. This account had an overdraft which is why he asked for it to go elsewhere (something that was offered on JPA) so the money was just swallowed and ended up not being able to go on the det. Within the week he had a 'meeting' with the station commander to discuss his financial situation.

Get confidential advice before you do anything else. Declaring bankruptcy is a VERY last resort, costs £400 to do it and from what we were told, you cant be in any employment that pays over £600 a month.

Good Luck!!

M

MoggyCattermole

If you are Bankrupt you cant have a Bank Account which may pose a few problems for your RAF Pay.

I was unable to work for a 4 months due to a serious assault, once I knew that I was going to have problems paying my bills because my "rainy day" account was running empty I got in touch with the Credit Card company, Landlord and Council Tax Office and we worked something out. I didnt even get Dole (wasnt fit for work due to my injuries) so I had to live out of my savings. I was told by the lad I dealt with that it is ALWAYS best to try to arrange some kind of payment plan,even an offer of £1 a week shows a willingness to sort it out, and creditors would rather get SOMETHING than nothing. If you are considering Bankruptcy then you are obviously worried and in need of help, do yourself a favour and work something out with your creditors.

If they have your address do you really want a Baliff turning up at the camp ??, I bet you will be right in the dwang if that happens.

Try .. www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

G

gemarriott

Sound advice from both Dantura and Mrs Monobrow.

You have taken the hardest step by admitting to yourself you need help.

May I suggest that bankruptcy is a last option there are many other courses of action open. you do need to speak to someone from SSAFA and or the citizens advice bureau. the rules are slightly different in England and Wales to those in Scotland but what Mrs Monobrow described is an Independant Voluntary Agreement IVA and this works very well indeed in stopping the constant aggro coming through the door and over the phone.

Before going public so to speak at work get some advice from the professionals at SSAFA or the CAB both have properly trained debt counsellors. Do this and within 3 months you should be in a position to work your way through this. There is a SSAFA link on the site.

Hang in there it does get better. If you need any more help PM me and I'll see what I can do.

good luck

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I 'm thinking that even admitting you need help on a anonymous forum makes you feel a little bit better...As has been mention previously it's an important first step...and the more carefully thought through and calculated steps you take from this day will improve your situation and reduce the 'lead ball' feeling that is probably in your belly right now...

Don't stall now...Use the links as Gemarriott advises and see what they can offer..

Best wishes Vim

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Well done, you have made the first step.

You absolutely MUST take the next step now, seeking independent advice.

I wont labour the good points the others have raised, but i will remind you that IF you declare yourself bankrupt you cant hold a bank account for seven years. All the accounts you have now will close.

There is only so much cash in hand work available in civvy street, and generally, I would guess you wouldn't want it.

Why would civvy street bother you? because I have a feeling, NOT FACT, that the RAF would discharge you ASAP as an admin burden or security burden. It would cost too much in this day and age to pay you in cash compared with BACS, Do yourself a favour and agree with your creditors a reasonable sum/seek advice independently.

Do one more favour to us all. Be honest with yourself about the size of your problem.

M

monobrow

It is a very sticky situation. Trust me, as a dad at 19, and trying to raise a family on LAC's wages was foookin tough, but head is still (only just) above water!

I seem to remember when the outlook was very bleak, I did look down the bankruptcy road, and as far as I can tell, it's an instant admin discharge (because you leave your self open to being "bought out" by those nasty terrorist types!!)

Stick it out and talk to those who you owe money to. Even if you offer them a tenner a month, they will accept it, because you are paying them back. This will only work though once they have stopped all your credit cards et al. If your a serving member, and are single. Then bin all you don't need. This will work wonders for a singly.......

You live in the block - No rent payments
You get fed in the mess - No food payments (for 3 meals a day)

The rest can be scaled back or stopped completely. It took me a while to get my priorities right (I can't condone purchasing baby milk on a credit card, but it did come to it once!!!) but once you have some clear vision on where your problem is going, everything just seems soo much better!!!

The link below is for the Consumer Credit Counselling Service. It's a registered charity so you won't have any extra charges to pay and a couple of my serving friends have used them to good effect.

They, like others, take the burden of dealing with creditors away form you and sort out affordable payment schemes. They ask you to complete certain questionnaire type forms which ascertain how much you need to be able to survive before they set your payment levels.

http://www.cccs.co.uk/

Good luck

C

Crabman

Have a look at this forum, there is loads of advice on bankruptcy/IVAs etc.

Obviously it is not RAF specific, but does give lots of advice on general debt management and also gives real peoples experiences of IVAs and bankruptcy.

If you are already thinking of bankruptcy then things must be pretty sticky, but if you can manage for a few more weeks or so I would be tempted to get some professional advice before you approach your boss. It might be better to go to him/her when you have a plan to sort yourself out.

Good luck.

M

MyShineyAr$e

Not an Army Officer

Not an Army Officer

Off Topic but only slightly.

At a previous Joint Service Unit I had an Army Officer who was a bit of a boy and was out on the town, whoring, drinking etc.

Well things got pretty bad and he was getting 'interviewed' on a weekly basis for coming to the attention of the bank manager, the car finance company etc.

Anyway he was posted and within a couple of weeks his name was in the London Gazette. You see the Army, by tradition, have close ties with the London Gazette which publishes Officers promotions etc. On the flip side they also publish Bankruptcy Notices. He was discharged soon after.

Oh what a nice anecdote for my 200th post!!!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I cannot recommend these people enough.....Payplan.
They are a fantastic help.
When I got posted and the wife lost her job we struggled alot.
Went to a debt management agency who charged a one off up front fee. After this payplan contacted us and told us that they would help us for free. They are paid by the industry and are viewed well because they arent in it to make money from the people in debt.
They set up arrangments with your creditors at a rate you can afford. They do the majority of work for you.
I cant rate them highly enough. It gives you massive peace of mind.
Their phone number is 0844 855 2163.
Once its all set up you can view your arrangments and payments on the internet as well.
Give them a call.