• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pjft?

A

Arctine

Got my PRTS coming up and would like to know what happens if you fail the fitness test? Also what exactly does the fitness test entail? I've heard different things

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Get Fit

Get Fit

I'm sure this has been answered on here before but here goes;

The fitness test on Pre RTC is the Bleep test and you need to achieve 90% of the RAF Standard, so level 9.1 on the bleep test and quite a few sit ups and push ups.

If you fail badly you'll be coming back for another Pre RTC if you just miss the grade you may have to do an extra 2 weeks fitness conditioning at Halton before you start normal 9 week programme.

Get fit pass it first time and save yourself a whole heap of PTI induced stress and ralgex application.

Good Luck, with a bit effort and determination it's not that much of a problem.

P

Portcullis

I'm sure this has been answered on here before but here goes;

The fitness test on Pre RTC is the Bleep test and you need to achieve 90% of the RAF Standard, so level 9.1 on the bleep test and quite a few sit ups and push ups.

If you fail badly you'll be coming back for another Pre RTC if you just miss the grade you may have to do an extra 2 weeks fitness conditioning at Halton before you start normal 9 week programme.

Get fit pass it first time and save yourself a whole heap of PTI induced stress and ralgex application.

Good Luck, with a bit effort and determination it's not that much of a problem.

From Jan 09 the RAF Fitness Test will be attempted by all candidates during PRTC. The test will be 'stopped' when the candidate reaches the 'green' level (ie 9.10 for males)

ALL candidates MUST reach a level equivalent to 90% of the MSFT, 20% press ups and 20% sit ups. This equates to:

Males - 8.06, 4 press ups, 7 sit ups
Females - 6.01, 2 press ups, 6 sit ups.

Not a big deal, however if this rule had been in place for last week's PRTC, 42% would have failed!

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

From Jan 09 the RAF Fitness Test will be attempted by all candidates during PRTC. The test will be 'stopped' when the candidate reaches the 'green' level (ie 9.10 for males)

ALL candidates MUST reach a level equivalent to 90% of the MSFT, 20% press ups and 20% sit ups. This equates to:

Not a big deal, however if this rule had been in place for last week's PRTC, 42% would have failed!

Thats disgusting!! There are people wanting to re-join and getting rejected by ACOS manning.

Maybe we should have the PJFT before the AST. "If you want to join the RAF pass the fitness test 1st"

P

Portcullis

Thats disgusting!! There are people wanting to re-join and getting rejected by ACOS manning.

Maybe we should have the PJFT before the AST. "If you want to join the RAF pass the fitness test 1st"

PJFT = Pre Joining Fitness Test. So this is what should happen!

Unfortunately this is conducted in a civvy gym with civvy instructors (possibly using the cheapest deal - it is the MOD after all). RTS has absolutely no faith in this. Some candidates who appear to be able to run, do press ups and sit ups mysteriously lose these powers on entering the Finlay Gym at Halton during the PRTC (pre Recruit Training Course)!

Frustrating? Try being at this end!

S

stevemartin1991

Sorry kinda lost here.
Males - 8.06, 4 press ups, 7 situps the pass for the prtc fitness test or the pjft? I heard that the prtc was a pass mark as follows. 9.10, 30 sit ups, 20 pressups? And if you failed your rts date was put back or you'd do the extra 2 weeks with the girls? I will probably have prtc next year so clearing this up would help. Thanks steve

P

Portcullis

Sorry kinda lost here.
Males - 8.06, 4 press ups, 7 situps the pass for the prtc fitness test or the pjft? I heard that the prtc was a pass mark as follows. 9.10, 30 sit ups, 20 pressups? And if you failed your rts date was put back or you'd do the extra 2 weeks with the girls? I will probably have prtc next year so clearing this up would help. Thanks steve

PJFT - attempted at Fitness First. Run on a treadmill, attempt press ups and sit ups.

PRTC - held at RTS Halton > 6 weeks before RTS. All candidates attempt the RAFFT, up to the green level (lowest acceptable pass). Candidates who do not achieve 90% of the shuttle runs (male 8.06), 20% press ups (male 4) and 20% of the sit ups (male 7) will not be offered a place on the course. You will still be offered a place if you fail to achieve 'green' but get over the 90/20/20 level.

RTS First RAFFT - held at Halton. Results will stream recruits into P Ed groups. THAT is where the recruits who need PCC will be identified.

Clear?

U

ukhursty

So its being made easier for PRTC then it would seem. Don't see the point in that?

4 Press ups and 7 situps is an abysmal level to have to 'pass'.

I'll keep on pushing for 50+ of each anyways.

P

Portcullis

So its being made easier for PRTC then it would seem. Don't see the point in that?

4 Press ups and 7 situps is an abysmal level to have to 'pass'.

I'll keep on pushing for 50+ of each anyways.

It must be the way I'm writing this down - cannot be anything to do with the way you are reading it!!

We are STILL conducting the RAFFT on PRTC, exactly the way we were before. The major difference is that if someone fails to get 90/20/20% as previously explained, THEY DON'T START.

Before all that happened is that the candidate was given some guidance as to how to improve, which they obviously all did :)PDT_Xtremez_42:) and 6 weeks later arrived to start the course. They then went sick, or failed every PT test until they either left, were rejected from training or eventually passed the test many months later.

From now, if you don't pass the lowered RAFFT at PRTC you don't start the main course.

BTW, you won't be the only one pushing out 50+, so don't get too big headed:pDT_Xtremez_35:

S

stevemartin1991

It must be the way I'm writing this down - cannot be anything to do with the way you are reading it!!

We are STILL conducting the RAFFT on PRTC, exactly the way we were before. The major difference is that if someone fails to get 90/20/20% as previously explained, THEY DON'T START.

Before all that happened is that the candidate was given some guidance as to how to improve, which they obviously all did :)PDT_Xtremez_42:) and 6 weeks later arrived to start the course. They then went sick, or failed every PT test until they either left, were rejected from training or eventually passed the test many months later.

From now, if you don't pass the lowered RAFFT at PRTC you don't start the main course.

BTW, you won't be the only one pushing out 50+, so don't get too big headed:pDT_Xtremez_35:

so basically what the ukhursty above said is true? :p

U

ukhursty

Many thanks!

Not being big-headed at all.

Thats just what I'm aiming for! Nowhere near yet! :)

Just trying to aim high now, and get way past the 90/20/20, as I know that will be barely be adequate for PT on RTS!

T

Toxicseagull

i know you've answered a lot (repeatedly) but could you clear something up portcullis?

the latter bit sounds like that the 90/20/20 rule isnt being applied yet, so do you mean it will be set during jan 10 (calander date, not raf financial year) ie. the jan coming up?

P

Portcullis

i know you've answered a lot (repeatedly) but could you clear something up portcullis?

the latter bit sounds like that the 90/20/20 rule isnt being applied yet, so do you mean it will be set during jan 10 (calander date, not raf financial year) ie. the jan coming up?

The levels have been applied on PJFT (civvy gym) since Oct 09. This has yet to produce a higher % pass rate at PRTC (See above), but I expect that the unfit candidates all did their pre joining test before that date.

The new levels (90/20/20) come into effect in January 2010.

I am not 100% sure about re-tests, but I believe that AFCOs are allowing 2 attempts at Halton before imposing a 6 month period to allow candidates a chance to get fit. They can then come back, as long as the vacancy has not been filled in the interim.

Krusty Crab may be able to help out there.

Easy answer - get fit yourself, I cannot do it for you!

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

T

Toxicseagull

:pDT_Xtremez_14: cheers for the reply, i dont plan on doing re-tests.