• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phone question for you jammy sods in Vegas?

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Right all you jammy buggers swanning about Vegas can you make yourselves useful and pass on some info about local pay as you go sim cards for using to call home. I know about the old calling cards and the like but I just wondered if there was a cheap sim for texting just to keep contact with the uk. Cheers in advance....

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
It's what Skype is for - buy a tenners worth of Skype credit and you can call mobiles and landlines worldwide for pennies and of course Skype to Skype for free.

Some of the pages on this site give the low down on pay as you go but to be honest it is all a bit hit and miss.
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/

There were a couple of good companies doing PAYG Net10 used to be really good but when there a few weeks ago they were crap and difficult to set up USA to UK

There are sims available on ebay for AT&T sims and some TMobile to go into your own phone or just switch your smartphone to airplane mode (turns off data roaming) and rely on wireless to do your texting

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
You can also try a free app (available on iOS and Android) called Viber.

It enables you to text and call for free as long as you have a data connection (wifi/ edge /3G)

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'll be travelling for about 10 days and when in Cyprus I use a local sim card for cheap texts and just wondered if the spams had something similar. I'm going to look at this viber program later though. Thanks for the feedback so far.:pDT_Xtremez_27:

Last edited:

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Along with viber I use another app called whatsapp messenger for free texts on my android.

SgtScribbly

Corporal
You can also try a free app (available on iOS and Android) called Viber.

It enables you to text and call for free as long as you have a data connection (wifi/ edge /3G)

You have to be real careful with the 3G/Edge data roaming charges when abroad. They can be astronomical and I would suggest that data roaming is turned off before you get there. Some phones will use it without you even knowing and rack up some pretty big bills. If you have plenty of access to wifi hotspots then viver/whatsapp/skype are great.