• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pelosi in Taiwan

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So with the current turmoil in Ukraine, al-Qaeda leadership getting removed via missle strikes, China frantically sabre rattling, and the POTUS saying it's not good idea to go there, good old Nancy Pelosi has decided it would be a good idea to visit Taiwan. Is it the last hurrah of a old and fading politician or a (formally not approved but privately allowed) unoffical offical visit to an ally.

What does her visit do for world stability??

Deltaitem

Corporal
Appeasing a dictatorship has a track record of generally being a bad idea, and here in the good old UK of...er K, if we're saying that inhabitants of islands have the right to self determination, to the point that we as a nation went to war on that principle, then I'd say that on principle, she's bang on for standing up alongside advocates of freedom and democracy.
But sure, China's too big to mess with, right? Don't want to get too involved, right?
Didn't we once say that about Russia?
A ballsed up climate will get us long before any war.

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If I read it correctly Taiwan is one of the worlds major producer of the chips the silicon type that are used in many many technical products. Anyone waiting for a new car knows the delay is a world shortage of chips. If Taiwan falls to China they would have the consumer driven West by the technological short and curlies.

"A global semiconductor shortage has prompted plans to build six new chip plants in Taiwan, outpacing the four in China's pipeline and the three planned U.S. factories. Taiwan is expected to host 44% of global foundry capacity in 2025, rising to a 58% share for advanced chips."

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Wouldn't it be better to build chip factories somewhere else in the world and spread the risk.

This LEAN just in time methodology is great whilst we are all friendly and getting along but it very soon falls apart with any form of glitch. I've been waiting a while for my new car now and it's been extended by a month already.