• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Origins of KFS (knife Fork Spoon)

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I have heard this phrase a million times, usually in greeting some one along the lines of Ahh! Cpl Jones K.F.S? But where does it come from?

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
I have heard this phrase a million times, usually in greeting some one along the lines of Ahh! Cpl Jones K.F.S? But where does it come from?

Its just a standard Military Acronym as in K(nife)F(ork)S(poon)

(Acronyms, initialisms, and alphabetisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO)) blah blah - from wikipedia

shettie

Flight Sergeant
In the good ol' days (and still today in some Army messes ...) you had to take your own eating irons to the mess - along with a mug for your bromide laced tea... Hense the Parade to the mess would begin with an inspection where you had to present your KFS & M

<edit AND I AM NOT THAT FCUKIN'OLD BEFORE YOU ALL START!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:>

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
In the good ol' days (and still today in some Army messes ...) you had to take your own eating irons to the mess - along with a mug for your bromide laced tea... Hense the Parade to the mess would begin with an inspection where you had to present your KFS & M

<edit AND I AM NOT THAT FCUKIN'OLD BEFORE YOU ALL START!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:>

I am :)

We used to take our "Mugs, Concrete Apprentices for the drinking out of," to the mess at Halton.

They used to last from day one until the senior entry had smashed the lot by about week three. Then it was of to Henderson NAAFI for a plastic one!

That was ofcourse assuming that the discip didn't smash it on Kit Inspection.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also sometimes described as mug and irons as in eating irons. As has been said in days gone by (National service circa 1953) you had your own KFS, mug and even your own mess tins for daily use.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the responses, the KFS thing was doing my head in! keeping it going then about different names, Our shippers me skippers friends use port and starboard scran spanners.
I have also heard of a racing spoon. that is a spoon on a cord kept around the neck kind of like a spork.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
I have also heard of a racing spoon. that is a spoon on a cord kept around the neck kind of like a spork.

The racing spoon has done away with the KFS

Get a spoon (as large a feasably possible) cut the handle down a bit
Drill a hole in the handle and loop some para cord through it
Loop para cord round button hole of smock/shirt pocket
Then if your passing someone cooking you can grab a bit and race away with it

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
In my memory the dialogue used to go a bit like this:

Enter WO stage left looking for a suspect for a gash job -

"Ah Cpl a job!"

Jones leaping up to impress an amuse -

"Sir! Cpl Jones T, Knife Fork & Spoon" in the way of Jones 867 (last 3)

If you can't eat it with just a spoon, it isn't worth the effort. :pDT_Xtremez_15:
I remember years ago, when I was based at Lyneham, the platewash in the JR mess was often U/S, leading to either cutlery shortages, or plastic cutlery for weeks.

Plastic knives + steak = disappointment and frustration.

Learned that you can butter bread with a spoon, but soup with a fork is a waste of time.

1464257.jpg

These are useful, they should issue them to everyone.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I remember years ago, when I was based at Lyneham, the platewash in the JR mess was often U/S, leading to either cutlery shortages, or plastic cutlery for weeks.

Plastic knives + steak = disappointment and frustration.

Learned that you can butter bread with a spoon, but soup with a fork is a waste of time.

1464257.jpg

These are useful, they should issue them to everyone.

You'll be pleased to know the platewash is still U/S - but its relocated to the Sgt's Mess now:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Chilliboy

SAC
Is that the plate wash that can raise the plate's surface temperature to 150 degrees and still manage to not clean it properly? Or is that all of them?

ricardian

LAC
You'll be pleased to know the platewash is still U/S - but its relocated to the Sgt's Mess now:pDT_Xtremez_30:

When I was but a mere Boy Entrant (1959-61) at Cosford we washed our KFS as we came out of the mess, we accomplished this by dipping them in a large tank (about 6 ft long, 2 ft wide and about 2 ft deep) which was full of VERY hot water; great fun when someone dropped his knife and had to risk third-degree burns in order to retrieve it. The pot mugs were good fun too, a sharp tap with the your knife handle would usually shatter it into umpteen pieces thus reducing the unfortunate user to buying a plastic mug.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Ah yes the old "and you are?" "Stax sir, SAC Stax, KFS, NFI, DFC, VD and Scar!" (NFI No Fekkin Interest, DFC, Don't Fekkin Care)