• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opinion of RAF engineering and lifestyle.

Cenghogan

LAC
Hello,

I am currently working as a design engineer and have been thinking of joining the RAF as a engineering officer (aerospace systems) for awhile. I have a few concerns as everywhere I look to have queries answered I get mixed responses. Is there any experienced RAF members and engineers who could help me?

-Would I move about alot? I understand there will be deployement and that but what can I expect life to be like concerning relationships?
-Would current serving members recommend joining?
-what are career opportunites after service like?
-Would my experience as a design engineer (BEng (Hons)) be of any help?
-Is promotion of engineer officers relatively good? I see most senior staff are pilots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to join but are unsure if its something I would regret doing.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am currently working as a design engineer and have been thinking of joining the RAF as a engineering officer (aerospace systems) for awhile. I have a few concerns as everywhere I look to have queries answered I get mixed responses. Is there any experienced RAF members and engineers who could help me?

-Would I move about alot? I understand there will be deployement and that but what can I expect life to be like concerning relationships?
-Would current serving members recommend joining?
-what are career opportunites after service like?
-Would my experience as a design engineer (BEng (Hons)) be of any help?
-Is promotion of engineer officers relatively good? I see most senior staff are pilots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to join but are unsure if its something I would regret doing.

Hello,

So answers to some of your questions;

1. Depends on what you class as alot - you will be posted (move job) every 2 years however you can ask to stay at the same camp or area i.e. Lincolnshire has a few camps within a 20 mile area.
2. Some will, some won't - i'm a technician (Sgt) who has looked at becoming a EngO as i have a degree so my point of view is different but it's about what YOU want - there are great opportunities like running engineering on Sqn, making engineering recommendation on a Project Team etc - are these jobs available in civvy world - yes, will you get paid more - possibly, if you embrace the RAF will you get much more out of it than you expect - definitely!
3. Excellent, you've been running a team of over 300 technician, in a time critical environment while holding authorities to determine engineering requirement - if you can't get a job with that plus all the management training as an officer something is seriously wrong.
4. Definitely, but all training is given regardless of background so you will all leave training confident you can complete your first tour.
5. This one is debatable and has too many factors to discuss on this thread - Wing Commander is not unreasonable goal - basically if you want to be the Chief of Air Staff your going to have to be a pilot.

Hope this has answered so of your questions.

Good luck in the future whatever you decide.