• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

newbie to forum

DAVE1562

LAC
Hi all...my name is dave clarke ..just joined the forum, served in the raf 78 to 89...at st athan(vulcans and phantoms)TTTE cottesmore at tasf and rects sqdn, ended up in rects oops and mods eventually ending up at 27 sqdn b shift at marham... any old mates on this forum?

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Hi Dave, and welcome. I was on 27 Sqn 85-86, not a great Sqn in those days and not a good part of my career, I was one of the Line controllers, can't remember which shift, ended up with a compassionate post to Coningsby, not good with names, people seem to remember mine and it gets embarrassing at times, Mick H.

DAVE1562

LAC
27 sqdn tonkas

27 sqdn tonkas

Hi Mick H, was on the sqdn from 83-89 on B shift, i am airframe.... c/t toft was the a/f shift boss.. other names you might recognise are ian green, charlie burton, colin ellis, bob simmons, kev baines, gary short... the list is endless .. i enjoyed my time there, the only thing that spoilt it was the sengo.. known as tojo... lol :)

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Crikey, you lasted a while.

All I remember is a Flt Sgt who was an alcoholic, a WO who was near the end of his time and could care less, a Jengo and Sengo who were complete tossers, the two shifts did not like each other, xmas do in medieval castle - Sqn banned from going again, the coaches trashed from memory around £2 grand in damages, banned from BAES Warton, the young lad who lost his hand, lost my promotion to Chief thanks to Jengo/Sengo and to top it all I lost my daughter and Sqn was no help other than those who went to Germany with me and the Rects Controller on my shift.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Should of added Dave, that you probably have a good idea of who I am now and probably know which shift I was on. Age and a black spot in my memory of those days has made me forget most of my time on 27 Sqn, I was told on two occasion I was to go back to Marham, once from St Athan, and once from Cottesmore, I did not go on either occasions.

However I did go whilst working with BAES for 4 days and was surprised at how much had changed.

If memory serves they were at Deci when they were disbanded in 1993 and became 12 Sqn, wherever it was I was there on a detachment from St Athan and was invited to the bash.

DAVE1562

LAC
27 sqdn tonkas

27 sqdn tonkas

Yes mick, a few years on 27... went on my fitters course while there and then went back.. doh!.... was given my corporals tapes and asked if i wanted to sign on a further 3 yrs... had enough of the uniform by then (11 years)loved the mechanial side of the job but hated the **** duties!... i declined the offer and left in 89 :)