• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New IOT Cse starts, 32 weeks

D

DoesMyBumLookBigInThis?

What about the airman training??

What about the airman training??

So will there be more of the same in the Halton courses (Generally the quality of airman that is graduating at the moment also leaves a lot to be desired).
I know there are courses introduced on promotion later on - but a bit more of the basics RTS on GSK, military discipline a bit more of core knowledge etc etc would go down a treat.
Many recruits seem to leave Halton with an inbreed hatred to officers (unless this is simply drilled into them later by their more senior colleagues) and the typical teenage attitude that they are the boy/girl 'cause they have left home and the RAF owes them a favour...obviously they are not all like this and I am sure I will get a slating (proably from Stax) for even mentioning it.
When I went through IOT there were 2 ex-Swinderby types on my flight (and may I add they instilled a similar swinderby concept into the baby officers present) and that, call me old fashioned, is the kind of training that turns out better disciplined personnel - although admittedly not always the most rounded individuals.
Although we do not train recruits to think like Officers/SNCOs, but more and more very junior ranks are being put in the position of increased responsibility and yes I have seen some make some good decisions and some almost make some absolute shockers, unfortuently more ofthe latter. Maybe we should be thinking about making our more junior personnel better trained to cope with the reality of the jobs they will be sent to
I have frequently sourced and sent/encouraged my more junior personnel to go to courses that are not necessarily designed for their rank/trade but gives them the backing to be a bit more forthcoming and proactive in making sensible decisions. I know I am likely to be in a minority by generally haveing few personnel therefore having the time and flex at times to do this...but surely that kind of training should be abailable through the RAF automatically.

At RAF Marham there has been a JO's development course to deal with probably lots of the issues that are probably going to be covered by the new IOT course - why not do this for LACs/SACs (probably push out even better candidates for promotion to Cpl)

There are no excuses for the ignorant female police officer - RAFA is pain et buerre stuff and hopefully such stupidity will never be seen again!

Last edited:

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
I dont think that graduating airmen from RTS have an inbred hatred of rodneys, they haven't met enough to form that opinion. Personally I think that comes later on when it's seen as the 'done thing' to slag the 'zobs' in the crew room. As far as I'm concerned such opinions aren't worth listening to until they come from someone who's been around the block, so to speak. But I can understand how it arises as the still-wet-behind-the-ears lads and lasses strive to be accepted by the old sweats. As an officer it should be water off a ducks back as long as they show all due respect. If a young 'un thinks your useless, that can be down to the fact that they know no better, if the NCOs think that ... that's when you start worrying!

I'm not fully up to speed on what's taught at Halton (myself a product of Swinderby) but I'm led to believe that there's more GSK now in the 9 week recruit training. I'm posted to RTS in a few weeks (hence the username) and shall report back what we're teaching the little darlings if you're interested.

The locally run courses can be very good. We send our young 'uns on team work type courses at Waddington, they seem to go down well and have a visible effect on those that attend. As you said though Doesmybum, we're the lucky ones in having the man power to cut us the slack to get our guys and gals off on these courses from time to time.

Last edited:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
DoesMyBumLookBigInThis? said:
So will there be more of the same in the Halton courses (Generally the quality of airman that is graduating at the moment also leaves a lot to be desired).

To be honest I don't think the quality of the new peeps coming through the door are any better or worse than in the past, there are good and bad as all ways, but I do think some should have been weedled out long before they got to leave trade training.

I know there are courses introduced on promotion later on - but a bit more of the basics RTS on GSK, military discipline a bit more of core knowledge etc etc would go down a treat.

Mmmm but most of that is the stuff you learn in your first few years in the job, lets face it you have that much going on when your going through basic, getting everything to stick in your head is a pretty tall order, but yes maybe more emphasis should be put on it (just my experiences from going through Swinderby).

Many recruits seem to leave Halton with an inbreed hatred to officers (unless this is simply drilled into them later by their more senior colleagues) and the typical teenage attitude that they are the boy/girl 'cause they have left home and the RAF owes them a favour...obviously they are not all like this and I am sure I will get a slating (proably from Stax) for even mentioning it.

The attitude towards officers is something they get from the crew room slanging officers get on a daily basis. I've been guilty of this in my time, all I can say is it changes with time and people gain a greater insight into life in the mob. Mind you trying to tell a bloody minded JO that it didn't work before and its not going to work now can be like banging your head against a wall.

When I went through IOT there were 2 ex-Swinderby types on my flight (and may I add they instilled a similar swinderby concept into the baby officers present) and that, call me old fashioned, is the kind of training that turns out better disciplined personnel - although admittedly not always the most rounded individuals.

Being in the forces is all about discipline, IMHO we should go back to the bad old days way of basic training.

Although we do not train recruits to think like Officers/SNCOs, but more and more very junior ranks are being put in the position of increased responsibility and yes I have seen some make some good decisions and some almost make some absolute shockers, unfortuently more ofthe latter. Maybe we should be thinking about making our more junior personnel better trained to cope with the reality of the jobs they will be sent to
I have frequently sourced and sent/encouraged my more junior personnel to go to courses that are not necessarily designed for their rank/trade but gives them the backing to be a bit more forthcoming and proactive in making sensible decisions. I know I am likely to be in a minority by generally haveing few personnel therefore having the time and flex at times to do this...but surely that kind of training should be abailable through the RAF automatically.

Couldn't agree more, everyone needs to learn how to be able to think on their feet if and when the need arises and the more practice you have the better you get at it.

At RAF Marham there has been a JO's development course to deal with probably lots of the issues that are probably going to be covered by the new IOT course - why not do this for LACs/SACs (probably push out even better candidates for promotion to Cpl)

Surely to be selected for promotion they have already shown an ability to manage/lead. If not surely their assessments should show this.

There are no excuses for the ignorant female police officer - RAFA is pain et buerre stuff and hopefully such stupidity will never be seen again!

Like you say bread and butter stuff there.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
DoesMyBumLookBigInThis? said:

Nope, no arguement from me old Gel. The standard of pondlife in the crewroom at the moment is, quite frankly, 5hite! As to RAFA, anyone who doesn't know about them from day 1 week 1 should be publicly humiliated in the village square. prior to a ducking in the pond!