• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New here. Looking for MT

Rat666s

LAC
Good afternoon all
i'm most of the way through my application now off for PRTC in a couple of weeks.
i'm trying to find any drivers or people based at leconfield so I can get a better insight as to what my trade training will be like.
hope someone can help
cheers

Good afternoon all
i'm most of the way through my application now off for PRTC in a couple of weeks.
i'm trying to find any drivers or people based at leconfield so I can get a better insight as to what my trade training will be like.
hope someone can help
cheers

Hi, I Had a 29 year career as an MTD and enjoyed it in the main.

As you are just starting out, concentrate on your basic training at Halton first and taking everything step by step, you need to get through that well before you can think about your trade.

As you said you will do your trade training at leconfield, you do your theory and basic driving first then heavy goods with load restraint and convoy training and possibly your ADR as well.

Best advice I can give is it really is listen and learn and do as you are asked. Some of it may seem really strange but all the training elements are there to get to an end result.

Leconfield is supposed to be a tri service training camp, but the Army do dominate, so there's plenty of parades and marching about, with domestic evenings in the blocks, you will get used to that at Halton anyway. There will be some party animals on the course like there always is. Let them get on with it and concentrate on you get through your training. The training for a driver is free flow, ie you do each stage as you pass through it. 6 to 8 weeks is about the normal and there is some waiting involved between modules, just keep a smile on your face and await your turn or instructor.

The main thing to renember is that leconfield is very much on its own planet. The accommodation is a bit run down and it's attaining establishment, so people may like to shout in your direction. Head down ears open again.

And finally keep your eye on the posting at the end of it as that's where you will be a semi permanent fixture for three to five years. Have a good idea of which camp you want to go to, but do not bank on getting it, it's all about slots being open at your rank.

Have a good time training, it's a trade I intended to do for 6 year and ended up doing just under 30 years so it cannot be all that bad. If you adopt the attitude that you never stop learning through out your career you will do well.

Rat666s

LAC
Thank you thats some great advice. The only reason i was asking is because they say the trade training can be up to 4 months but i already have my driving licence and my class 2 so was trying to find out what else i might be doing on trade training if that makes sense.
Was wondering if you can opt for other things whilst there like fast driving or off road etc

Thank you thats some great advice. The only reason i was asking is because they say the trade training can be up to 4 months but i already have my driving licence and my class 2 so was trying to find out what else i might be doing on trade training if that makes sense.
Was wondering if you can opt for other things whilst there like fast driving or off road etc

2 months is about the norm if you have a licence already. Off road is part of the training, they have a large airfield that they have turned into a course. You will probably do the skid car but the fast driving course is only done if you need it for the job your going to. Ie special duties or anti terrorist course for VIP driver. Other bit of the course are load restraint, which is a big bit ! When you are transporting jet engines, explosives, ammo etc. ADR goes with that, convoy driving, night driving and basic vehicle maintenance. You might find it all a bit noddy but attitude is as much a part of ongoing assessment as anything.

If you already have a class two and have been doing it commercially, there's quite a difference in the military.
They stick to the spirit of drivers hours but are not bound by them, same with WTD and rest breaks.
walk round checks are the same, just called first parade checks !