• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need info on ASOp

dylynch99

LAC
Hi guys, i'm just about to go off to do my PRTC and have some questions about the ASOp trade.

I know all the in's and out's of what ill be doing to begin with, but what im really after is to hear from people who know alot about this trade or maybe even current/past asop's.

My main questions are ;

-Is the job good? Is it engaging or boring?

-How much opportunity do they get to be posted abroad, i know there is not much variation with postings in the UK.

-Are you given opportunity's to gain qualifications and go on courses, does this trade have many branches and offer varied roles down the line?

-Would this trade give me enough spare time to study for a degree? I would like to acquire a degree perhaps in Law to build a solid skill set so i am prepared for civvy street (maybe join the police or CID)

-How much opportunity exists to be offered a commission - I finished college not long ago with three A-Levels in ICT, Photography and Media and was actually encouraged by the Cpl doing my interview to go for Officer entry level but i dont think i am ready for that level of responsibility/commitment + i think its too much pressure at my age (18). Could i get P3 entry to officer if i worked my b'llocks off/impressed the right people?

-What transferable skills do you gain from the job. What could you do leaving the RAF and entering the civilian job market, would the skills you learn include qualifications that would be even remotely valuable to employers?

If you made it this far cheers for reading, any responses would be appreciated :)