• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need help with swimming.

Liggy

LAC
I'm reasonably fit, i'm training for the rock apes.

I know for my PGAC i've a swimming test to undergo so I went to the pool the other day to see if I could even do 100m, I can swim but just not far. I done one length (33m) and literally could not go any further, I try to swim relaxed but it seems as if i'm sprinting. I was straight out of the gym before I attempted to swim.

I can tread water no bother, any tips for me?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Practice, if you are doing frontcrawl then you have to get your breathing right. Try and breathe every 2 strokes until you settle yourself in to a rythem. Should you be attempting the breaststroke then avoid coimg up too high, make sure to hold the streamline position for 1-2 seconds before starting your storke again. If you need some top tips then you tube them, full of top tips. But the biggest piece I can give you is get some pool time in.

Liggy

LAC
Practice, if you are doing frontcrawl then you have to get your breathing right. Try and breathe every 2 strokes until you settle yourself in to a rythem. Should you be attempting the breaststroke then avoid coimg up too high, make sure to hold the streamline position for 1-2 seconds before starting your storke again. If you need some top tips then you tube them, full of top tips. But the biggest piece I can give you is get some pool time in.

Thanks for your help, gonna try get going 3/4 times a week.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As far as I know there isn't a time limit on the test (don't quote me) the easiest for a distance with no limit is breast stroke. As said before don't raise too high on the pull and aim to have the water level 1/2 way up your forehead on the lunge. Also borrow/buy a training float, use this to practise your legs keep the speed down and go for technique(ooo errr) try and do 100m easily using just your legs and you'll ace it. Try HERE

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's in your head.

It's not most people's most comfortable place and the moment they jump in they unconsciously want to get out out again.

Don't fight the water - you can't swim without it.

Mag2grid

Corporal
As far as I know there isn't a time limit on the test (don't quote me) the easiest for a distance with no limit is breast stroke. As said before don't raise too high on the pull and aim to have the water level 1/2 way up your forehead on the lunge. Also borrow/buy a training float, use this to practise your legs keep the speed down and go for technique(ooo errr) try and do 100m easily using just your legs and you'll ace it. Try HERE

Whilst there is no time limit the PTI's can and will end the test for you if you aren't making " reasonable progress". I helped out on a few PGACs and PROCs when I was holding for J's, seen them bin a couple of candidates.

Liggy

LAC
Time to get to the pool, think i'm going to go with the front crawl as I already have a rough idea. Just need to work on breathing and keeping the body straight.

T

The Masked Geek

Try doing your front crawl training with a float between your ankles. This will increase drag and, in turn, increase the power you are able to generate with through your arms. Crack sixty lengths of this and you'll be ready for a sprint triathlon; well, the swimming bit anyway.

Most people just flap their legs about for balance anyway and the extra drive you get from them is negligeable unless you've had some real training to synergise your arm and leg movements.

Also, when doing the front crawl, stretch your leading arm fully out before the downstroke and don't cross your body with your arm. This will give you a more efficient stroke.

Breath out while you head is under water so that when you turn your head to breath, you only have to do the "in" bit. Every third stroke is optimal but you may be better with two as most people favour one side.

Like has been said before, nothing beats a bit of poolside assistance as it's damn hard to monitor your own swimming technique.