• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MT entitlements

Not sure if this has been posted before but I'm after some gen.

I am going to Cosford for a month and was wondering, am I entitled to a car for the duration so that I can return to my unit at weekends or is it the case of just drop off and pick up?

Mightierthan

Corporal
Not sure if this has been posted before but I'm after some gen.

I am going to Cosford for a month and was wondering, am I entitled to a car for the duration so that I can return to my unit at weekends or is it the case of just drop off and pick up?

I think deep down you already know the answer; it will be drop off and pick up only, unless you need the car for daily duty travel. You will get your 'get you home' payments to allow you to fund travel back to your home/unit at weekends - although it won't be enough to cover train fares.
If you have a car it will pay you to use it as the amount of pennies per mile you receive will be more than the petrol you would spend (unless you have a gas guzzler).

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Depends on you MT section mate. I've just finished a 2 week course and some Units told their guys that they could use the MT for the middle weekend, others wouldn't and others still would happily reject your request so that you could use your own vehicle, claim MMA and come and go as you please.

You could always try putting in 2 requests.

One for: collect MT Sunday night and return Friday.
Another for: Collect Sunday and return Friday.

You never know it might work! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Mightierthan

Corporal
Depends on you MT section mate. I've just finished a 2 week course and some Units told their guys that they could use the MT for the middle weekend, others wouldn't and others still would happily reject your request so that you could use your own vehicle, claim MMA and come and go as you please.

You could always try putting in 2 requests.

One for: collect MT Sunday night and return Friday.
Another for: Collect Sunday and return Friday.

You never know it might work! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

How dishonest and devious - I wish I had thought of it! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Dishonest - NO
Devious - Very much so. But who the hell wants to stay at some of the dumps we get sent to on courses, for the weekend. Particularly those with families.

J

Justacabbie

MT entitlement is take there, and bring back at end of course. Its usually a self drive one way hire car, which leaves you stranded whilst on course. Best course of action is to get HR to authorise use of personal car then you have your own wheels.

As for your multiple requests drop off sunday collect friday etc won't work. We may only be drivers but things like that set off sirens!

Mightierthan

Corporal
Dishonest - NO
Devious - Very much so. But who the hell wants to stay at some of the dumps we get sent to on courses, for the weekend. Particularly those with families.

But don't forget that you get HTD automatically to pay for you to travel back, so to avoid dishonesty you would have to pay for 1/2 the fuel for the MT vehicle(s) yourself.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
As for your multiple requests drop off sunday collect friday etc won't work. We may only be drivers but things like that set off sirens!

Well turn the bloody things off and give us the vehicles:pDT_Xtremez_30:

stereolab

Station Cashier
Families??

Families??

Dishonest - NO

What does having a family got to do with grotty accommodation or grotty units? .

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm pretty sure that using service transport at the weekends will mean you forgo the entitlement to GYH travel for the duration of the det.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
What does having a family got to do with grotty accommodation or grotty units? .

My point being that most blocks are grotty, therefore when I was a singly, it didn't matter to me whether I went back to my own grotty block at my own Unit or whether I stayed in the grotty block provided on the course and therefore in most cases I would stay. Hence not needing to travel home of a weekend.

However I dont think I would do it now due to having a qtr and a family.

Does that clear it up for you?