• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morning All, Commuting

Hegs44

LAC
So I'm 45 years young and just about to submit my app for Regiment Reserve. Mid life crisis, madness or stepping up.
Anyway I'm located in West Sussex near Gatwick. Not exactly awash with squadrons down this way. Benson is probably my closest for Regiment. Any views from anyone on such a commute or similar experiences.
Thanks

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There's a guy in the Brize Regt auggies that commutes from France. Many on my Sqn. live 3 hours away. It is easily doable, given that you only do one in three or four weekends. The home to duty is up to 100 miles now as well, but that can be extended at the Sqn Cdrs discretion.

Don't forget though that at the end of a weekend, especially on a Regt sqn, you are going to be well and truly cream crackered, and driving may be a bit "iffy".

Entropy

Sergeant
I also know a guy at Brize that commutes from near Gatwick. He has a bike so its a lot easier.

I go to Brize from LHR and its a balls ache to say the least on a Friday. 30+ mins from J14 to J16 so I don't know how long it will be from LGW but I expect it would busy. Just be prepared for a long day on Friday as you have work, a long commute then possibly an evening of training.

As Stevienics said the Sqn should pay you Home To Duty so ask when you speak to someone, the worst case scenario would be that they cap it at 50 miles, but as I said ask the Sqn.

Harby1

LAC
Hi, useful to know. Another poster asked if you can claim for mileage home again - is that not the case?

Last edited:

LilStill

Sergeant
Hi, useful to know. Another poster asked if you can claim for mileage home again - is that not the case?

The allowance you are paid takes travelling both ways, into account. It will not cover the cost entirely, for most people, but is a significant contribution.