• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MJDI and the British Army.

dkh51250

Sergeant
In conversation a couple of days ago,with a civilian MJDI op employed by the Army. He reckons the Army are going to bin the system because they did not want it in the first place. He also believes that there was nothing in the system that could indicate where AinU items are physically located.

Is there any truth in rumour A? I do know there was resistance from the brown brethren in Germany when it was mooted that they adopt USAS some years ago. Consequently when everything was handed to the creeping green, it was transferred from electronic stock accounting, to the trusty ledger and quill pen.

Finally, I do not believe any system would take a retrograde step and dispense with AinU accounting. Please tell me this is so.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
In conversation a couple of days ago,with a civilian MJDI op employed by the Army. He reckons the Army are going to bin the system because they did not want it in the first place. He also believes that there was nothing in the system that could indicate where AinU items are physically located.

Is there any truth in rumour A? I do know there was resistance from the brown brethren in Germany when it was mooted that they adopt USAS some years ago. Consequently when everything was handed to the creeping green, it was transferred from electronic stock accounting, to the trusty ledger and quill pen.

Finally, I do not believe any system would take a retrograde step and dispense with AinU accounting. Please tell me this is so.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Why wouldn't they just get rid of it after all the money that has been spent adding all the extra bits and bobs they wanted on it? We seem to be good at that in the military.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Whilst it is true that there are some areas of the Army which are unhappy with MJDI that is largely because it is not UNICOM or GLOBAL and they are having to change their working practices. There are also areas of the Army who are happy with MJDI. MJDI has brought big changes to all services Logistics accounting processes, some people adapt easily, others don't; some people are keen to use the more advanced capabilities to their best effect whereas others are still trying to shoehorn basic MJDI into the practices of 20 years ago. There are certainly no plans to ditch MJDI - there's nothing else to go to for one thing!

As far as the statement about not knowing where stuff on AinU is - well that is true, as it always was on USAS II and as MJDI was designed. If something is in stock then you have a full location system (Rack, Shelf, Bin etc) but AinU asset location is the AinU holder's responsibility. MJDI only needs to know the title of the AinU and the holder. AinU accounting continues (and has been enhanced (at the request of the army) by the ability to have C stores on AinU).

I know that across all 3 services there is evidence that the resistance to MJDI comes mainly from the 'old & bold' and I suspect that your civvi friend may be in that category.

Incidentally, before anyone else says it, yes there are some problems still with MJDI - what did you expect with a brand new IS system with thousands of users across all Air, Land & Sea units + all the PTs & FLC HQs; but they are being addressed and there is loads of work going on in all areas to understand and exploit all the new and additional capabilities because the fundamentals are right and the future is solid.

Last edited:

Robby

Corporal
AinU Stock Management

AinU Stock Management

I fear some of the problem could be that certain parts of the Army have transferred all of their 'stock' on to AinU's so they can account for it the way they used to - on a 'flick'. It also avoided that pesky quadrennial stocktaking stuff and as one Unit told me "we have been counting our stock 4 times a year since 17XX and always will do" how can you reason with such an attitude!

It was never going to be easy to convert reluctant/reticent users and whilst the training showed them how to use the application it did not retrain them to how the Joint Supply/Support Chain and JSP wanted it done! This is across ALL THREE environments and is a beast which moves so quickly its hard to keep up with! The future is change and it will be painful for all including servicemen and contractors!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Old thread but there's something I want to know if you could indulge me.

What's the association between an AinU and MJDI? Does an item go from MJDI onto an AinU Record and disappear of MJDI and its stock tracking capability or have I got this all wrong?

Vim

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Old thread but there's something I want to know if you could indulge me.

What's the association between an AinU and MJDI? Does an item go from MJDI onto an AinU Record and disappear of MJDI and its stock tracking capability or have I got this all wrong?

Vim

MJDI records everything that is in stock and everything that is on an AinU (Normally only P & L stores would be held on an AinU but it is possible to hold C stores on 'Non-consuming' AinUs).

Consequently all assets can be tracked on MJDI from the moment they enter the unit level supply system to the point of exit (back to depot or contractor) or consumption.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
MJDI records everything that is in stock and everything that is on an AinU (Normally only P & L stores would be held on an AinU but it is possible to hold C stores on 'Non-consuming' AinUs).

Consequently all assets can be tracked on MJDI from the moment they enter the unit level supply system to the point of exit (back to depot or contractor) or consumption.

Superb answer thanks...That's really helped me.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This thread is obviously old...within the spirit of opsec what's people opinions of MJDI a couple of years on? Whats it good at? What could be improved?