• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MG won't tick over without stalling.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
If as you say, the cam has been replaced for something a little wilder, I'm surprised the engine ticks over nicely at idle. With that in mind, as long as there is no excessive noise from the tappets, I'd leave the valve clearances as is. Without knowing the specific cam lift & duration, the only sure way to get the settings right would be at the expense of putting it on a rolling road. Incidentally, has the head been modified to take unleaded?

Shugster

Warrant Officer
If as you say, the cam has been replaced for something a little wilder, I'm surprised the engine ticks over nicely at idle. With that in mind, as long as there is no excessive noise from the tappets, I'd leave the valve clearances as is. Without knowing the specific cam lift & duration, the only sure way to get the settings right would be at the expense of putting it on a rolling road. Incidentally, has the head been modified to take unleaded?

The car has done about 23k since the rebuild and about 6k of that is mine. I don't know when it was done last and if I don't know which settings to use I'll leave it as is for the time being. It would just be nice to give the engine a bit of a long overdue service.

I'm not sure if the head has hardened valves seats or not so I'm using additive with unleaded.

My dream is to have enough time to pull the engine and rebuild it one day..... one day!

actechy14

LAC
Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, or if its even possible cause to stall (im no mechanic..) but have you checked the air flow sensor? Could be dodgy = not enough air = no bang = cuts out?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, or if its even possible cause to stall (im no mechanic..) but have you checked the air flow sensor? Could be dodgy = not enough air = no bang = cuts out?

I think that this motor just might be a tad pre airflow sensors and the like.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I think that this motor just might be a tad pre airflow sensors and the like.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

I wonder what the engine would be capable of doing with a Modern ECU, MPI, and MAF/MAP Sensor.

But what would it do to the sound with it not running on Carbs.