• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical - Do They Access Your Records?

JAL456

LAC
Hi all

I’m actually considering joining the reserves but I assume the medical requirements are the same so hope it’s ok to post here as this forum seems more active…

During the application process, do they have access to your NHS medical records or do they only go off the information you declare?

I’m not trying to hide anything but I experienced some anxiety just over a year ago which I went to the doctor about. This was a one off instance which I’ve never experienced before (I’m 30), was caused by a particular set of personal circumstances and I’ve since got better.

Ive just accessed my NHS app to look at my GP record and the doctor mentioned ‘anxiety and depression’ on the notes.

I understand that you can’t join if you’ve experienced anxiety within the last 12 months - which is fine - it’s been over 12 months - but the period seems to be 3 years for depression.

I haven’t had depression but my medical record suggests that I have, and I’m concerned about getting rejected on this basis if my records are checked - or at the very least having to maybe go back and ask the doctor to amend/clarify that note.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this might be an issue for me, or do they just go off the information you declare?

Many thanks

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If your GP has made a mistake, ask him to make a correction.

If not, then joining the military with recent depression is not a good idea, and if found out, and it will, lying about it during the recruitment process won’t do you any favours.

JAL456

LAC
Thank you for the quick reply. I suspect they just selected ‘anxiety and depression’ from a drop down list when creating the note. It just has a date and no other comment or information. I might contact my GP about it.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I would have thought that any checks carried out on past medical history would, if they found an entry like that, result in an enquiry to the GP concerned to see what the bigger picture was as opposed to just relying on a 'headline' entry which, as you suggest, could be from a standard dropdown list that doesn't go into details. But, as Busby states, do not lie about it, if it came about due to a set of particular circumstances then they may need to come out for an assessment of their likelihood of repetition.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Thank you for the quick reply. I suspect they just selected ‘anxiety and depression’ from a drop down list when creating the note. It just has a date and no other comment or information. I might contact my GP about it.
I agree with you regarding a selection from 'drop down' menu selection. Talk it over with your GP.

As you are aware there can be some stigma attached with many mental health issues, thankfully things are improving, but society is not there yet and our military lags society.

Deltaitem

Corporal
I agree with you regarding a selection from 'drop down' menu selection. Talk it over with your GP.

As you are aware there can be some stigma attached with many mental health issues, thankfully things are improving, but society is not there yet and our military lags society.
Thirty years behind society in most ways. But to answer your question. Whatever your medical situation, hiding it from the RAF medics isn't the way to go. Your issues may return and thenyou'll need their input. Better to be straight with them, and they'll be straight with you.

bigjd

LAC
Capita will contact your GP to check your medical records but you will have a telephone medical beforehand. When you are found to lie during the recruitment process it is safe to say your application will be binned and you won't be allowed to re-apply.

As previously mentioned, speak to your GP and have a good chat with them. Be prepared for a rejection as Capita are notorious for being extremely strict. If that happens you can launch an appeal, speaking with your GP beforehand will accelerate this process. Your GP could send a letter to Capita explaining that you did not have depression and that may well help.

Ultimately I am not medically trained but I was in the Army reserves before moving to regular RAF. They rejected me based on medical records and my appeal was upheld. It was a long process mind!

There is nothing to stop you applying but keep your integrity throughout the process and don't be too downhearted if you don't get the answers you want. Give it your best and see what happens!

Good luck