• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man Flu and Cold Remedies

E

Edzar

I have been looking to see if this has been covered already in the forums without success. (Mods please feel free to move it if you know different!!! - (Challenge on!!:pDT_Xtremez_03: ))

My better half has been sneezing and feeling sorry for herself all day and I have also been sneezing with the one leaking eye (not the japs variety before anyone starts!!), so I may well have a bout of Man-Flu coming on. (Not to worry though peeps; I have another week to get rid of it but I will make sure she is up in time for work in the morning!!:pDT_Xtremez_31: )

I thought I'd post a recipe of our favourite cold remedy from north of the border, yes it's:

The HOT TODDY!

Ingredients

50ml/3.5 tablespoons of strong alcohol such as either:

Whisky - No need to use your best single malt on this, a supermarket blend will be fine.

or Bourbon

or Dark rum,

or Brandy

THAT'S ONE OF THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS FOLKS, NOT A MIXTURE OF ALL FOUR!!!

50ml/3.5 tablespoons boiling water

Half a teaspoon of honey

A dash of lemon and a couple of cloves (both optional)

Method

Give this recipe to somebody else. If you have a partner, flatmate, parent, sibling or responsible offspring present - get them to go to the kitchen while you curl up under a blanket - you're poorly, remember?

Place the alcohol in a container and stir the honey into the whisky.

Add the boiling water (pouring it over the teaspoon to clean off the last of the honey).

At this stage you may wish to pop it into a microwave to make sure it's really piping hot. Make sure the toddy is in a microwavable container and cook for no more than a minute or until it's fizzing and you can smell alcohol1.

Add lemon and cloves to taste (but only if you want to!).

A hot toddy should be sipped very slowly allowing it to soothe your sore throat, clear your nose and relax your aching muscles. Use a pottery mug as it holds the heat better, or best of all is one of those insulated mugs, preferably with a lid, which keeps it warm down to the last sip.

Disclaimer!There are no grand medical claims attached to this recipe. Nobody says that it will cure your cold, and indeed alcohol can deplete your immune system, but a hot toddy may well make you feel a bit better.

Please be aware that many over-the-counter cold cures should not be taken with alcohol, and so you should be careful about combining different forms of cold relief.

If you are taking certain prescription medicines or are breastfeeding, you may not be able to take over-the-counter cold remedies, but may be allowed the small amount of alcohol in this toddy. If you have any doubts, please check with your pharmacist or an appropriate health professional.

Does anyone else have any SERIOUS cold/flu remedies/aids?

Share them here folks!

While its being made for you, try this :
http://www.banditos.info/speles/sobersanta2.swf

B

Bored@work

I have always thought that you couldn't do anything for colds but last time I had one I tried some Echinacea on the advice of a friend and found it genuinely does help. No reason not to use the alcoholic remedy at the same time though:pDT_Xtremez_26: .

K

katinthehat

Echinacea works to help fight off infection, so ideally you need to start and take it before the cold season starts, to help build up your immune system.

Try a hot mustard bath. Works every time.
Run a really hot bath, add @ 3 tablespoons of mustard powder to the bath, swirl it round, get in and soak.
Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil, mixed in milk (it stops it purely floating on the top!), and inhale the fumes deeply as you sit there and sweat it out.
Go to bed in as many layers of clothing as possible, and have a couple of paras to go with a glass of brandy or whatever.
Right as rain in the morning!!!!

AndyZ

Sergeant
Echinacea works to help fight off infection, so ideally you need to start and take it before the cold season starts, to help build up your immune system.

Run a really hot bath, add @ 3 tablespoons of mustard powder to the bath, swirl it round, get in and soak.
Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil, mixed in milk (it stops it purely floating on the top!), and inhale the fumes deeply as you sit there and sweat it out.
Go to bed in as many layers of clothing as possible, and have a couple of paras to go with a glass of brandy or whatever.
Paras....maybe rockapes or marines more your type?????

G

gemarriott

I find llots of beer/whisky/rum/brandy ................in fact lots of incoholic beverages works for me.

I even take the cure most weekends just in case I might catch a dose of man flu.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

E

enginesuck

Im a strong believer that if you smoke and drink to excess you'll be fine in fact i cant remember the last time i had a cold.

Damn liver and lung cancer is a drag though.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Why waste all that time and effort?

Go down to the Chemist and buy some 'Benylyn For Flu'.

Does the biz and knocks you out for a few hours, fookin brilliant!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Man flu is a right of passage for all men and should not be avoided but shared with all and sundry...Women should be forced to look upon you so at last they can stop bashing on about how 'tricky' childbirth is in comparison to seeing you lying there close the death...

If you were meant to survive and flourish you'll pull out of it in a week or so and carry on in your life with perhaps a new outlook of 'Hey...I could have died there but I didn't so lets live life to the full...'

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts

right listen in Kat the hate, I had a cold last weak and tried yous mustard bath cure but al it dids woz made mines massive kn0b sore

B

Bright Side of Life

The mustard was for the bath, not for your weener...

K

katinthehat

right listen in Kat the hate, I had a cold last weak and tried yous mustard bath cure but al it dids woz made mines massive kn0b sore

As said - you are not supposed to rub it in... just dissolve it in the bath!!!
And as I have had Bird Flu all through the Christmas holiday, I would like to say that I carried on regardless, and Christmas dinner was cooked to perfection!!!!! Still, being female I can multi-task!!!!!

S

shoutingwind

try the lemsip max strangth stuff that you don't need water for- they taste like sherbert and really work!

S

shoutingwind

TM sorry mate i wouldn't know i'm lacking in the vital equipment to find out :pDT_Xtremez_28: