• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Life as an ATM

FlyerBike

LAC
Hi all,

I had started a thread probably about a year ago now, but can't seem to find it now. I want to join up and have been considering what role to apply for. As I'm a motorcycle technician at the moment and I love fixing things, ATM looks like it would be a great career for me.

I keep hearing about aptitude tests and the like. I have a B and C for English Lang/Lit, and a double award C for science. I re-sat my Maths GCSE this year myself and achieved a C as I only got a D when I was at school. How does it work, do they give you tests and let you know if you are suitable for your role? I've seen on the RAF site that it's stuff like maths, verbal reasoning etc, similar to the Police's PIRT test which I took to become a Special.

I've spoken to some RN guys on a forum and once they stopped taking the **** out of me wanting to be in the RAF, they said that RAF ATMs sometimes get drafted onto aircraft carriers so we would serve alongside the Navy. Does this happen much anymore? Would be one hell of an experience..

I went to a careers fair the other week and got speaking to an officer of the Fleet Air Arm and she got me thinking about the RN as an option, but I'm not sure I could live full time on a ship. My best mate is an ex-RN marine engineer mechanic and loved it, but recons I'd hate a squashed bunk over a cushy RAF single-man room :) I think he might be right.. however, does anyone know which force has the best prospects for promotion and pay? I love this idea of a military career spent fixing aircraft but just need to decide who with.. The RN guys also mentioned that when they aren't out at sea, they are in single-men room just like the RAF?

I think I'll save my police career for when I'm out the other side of military service as you have to start from the bottom no matter what you did before, so I might as well spend my military time doing something totally different.

M

MakkaPakka1

Considering Harriers are binned, I wouldn't worry too much about being on a boat. Although, I know some RAF guys who, ironically, did more time at sea than the RN!

The RN guys do seem to get promoted quicker, but they need to be an SNCO to even go near a drill. But to be honest, having seen first hand their level of engineering competence, I wouldn't trust them with a fisher price drill set!

If you really want to so some engineering, then join the RAF. There may be a few gripes to moan about, but I personally enjoy my job.

The accomodation is a lot better than the RN. But there are still a few crap blocks knocking about. Most camps have 'superblocks' nowdays with an on-suite shower n sh**ter. Ooo la la.

When out of area, expect a range of accomodation from 12x12 tent, portacabin to a 5* hotel. All depents on what aircraft you work, and to what capacity. Better than hot bedding with some masturbating addicted fish-head!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

FlyerBike

LAC
Better than hot bedding with some masturbating addicted fish-head
Ha! Yeah, especially with the way some of them have been replying to me, I think I prefer the sound of the RAF.. There's banter and then there just being a cock..

Are you an ATM yourself MakkaPakka? How long have you been in? What's the lifestyle like? So many questions..

I'm a techie head, I've been in my current job at an accident repair place 6 months and do love it, I'm in a state of the art facility with about 150 people and growing, I'm just a little disappointed that I'm mainly taking bits off and bolting bits back on. I want to do some real mechanical work, taking engines apart, rebuilding things.. Does any of that happen in today's RAF?

M

MakkaPakka1

I am an ATM, been in 8 years. The lifestyle is how you make it. There is more than plenty to take advantage of i.e. Sports, expeds, education. You just need the drive to do it. Or you can stay in your block and play COD which is just a waste. The work is good. It starts a bit egg sucky when you get posted initially as an AMM, but if your mechanically minded and switched on, then you'll enjoy ut more as the older techies will be more willing to take you on bigger jobs if time and work permits. It gets more interesting after further training, as your level of technical knowlege increases. So you could be back on a frontline squadron, or in a maintenance unit, or even a niche unit like repair and salvage i.e repairing structurally damaged aircraft anywhere in the world or recovering a crashed one.

You'll get plenty of engine work on a squadron, but tge deep strip and rebuild stuff went civvy about 2 years ago, unfortunately.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

JTforever

Corporal
I want to do some real mechanical work, taking engines apart, rebuilding things.. Does any of that happen in today's RAF?

Yes, to a point. Stuff like engine deep strip is almost fully civvy these days. You'll still get involved in some very complicated repairs on engine and airframe systems though.

You'll start as an AMM doing basic routine stuff like servicing and refueling but if you've anything about you then you'll soon be taken on bigger jobs and given more responsibility.

You have to start at the bottom though so don't expect to be doing all the interesting stuff all the time, the hangar still needs cleaning and tidying - AMM's are first choice for that!!