• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Las Vegas

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anybody had experience of a posting out in Las Vegas? Have heard some pretty bad things about Vegas itself and life in general, especially for spouses and children.

P

pie sandwich

From what ive heard its about an 1hr 1/2 from vagas and after the first year expect to be away a fair bit, so the wife and kids will be on their own for some time

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This is the second time this week someone has mentioned this (the other via PM)...I've not been out there (in that capacity) myself but have been in contact and conversation with people that are as there are a few of my profession out in Nellis...

Post specific questions on here and I'll do my best to get answers for them...

To answer the above...Vegas is a sh*t hole party town for the insomiac...The guys I've spoken to don't go there unless family are visiting and they haven't been there themselves (curiosity factor)...The blog I read on the job entailed up to 4 months OOA from Nellis but the bloke I talked to insinuated less than that...perhaps 2 months. He was given a wedge of cash and two weeks to rent out a house, sort a motor, book schools and so on...The money was enough and so was the time...I think you get a fair bit of local help for that. His house was nice with a pool. Problems have been experienced as far as not having a credit rating when you first get there...You're like a child in some respects as you don't exist on the credit master computer so money had to be put down as a bond for the utilities...I guess that situation would improve as you spent and borrowed some money...

As I said...if you have questions I ll try and get answers...I suppose the best thing would be for someone out there to join the Goat...I'll see what I can do!

insty66

Corporal
metimmee

metimmee

Anybody had experience of a posting out in Las Vegas? Have heard some pretty bad things about Vegas itself and life in general, especially for spouses and children.

PM me. I have direct contact with someone out there and have visited them out there too.

Vim is close to the mark but the posting throws up chances you might never get again.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
PM me. I have direct contact with someone out there and have visited them out there too.

Vim is close to the mark but the posting throws up chances you might never get again.

Absolutley...If the situation were different I'd be going down on my poster as we speak...

S

Smakheed

Look on the bright side, some folk would let you rape their granny for this opportunity. If things get that bad out there, then your only 5 hours drive away from Mexico. Stop being a girl and get over there. There aren't that many overseas nowadays and your holding someone else up by doing this.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I have been lucky enough to have 2 overseas postings (Germany and Belgium) and loved them both. I have heard some bad things about Vegas, particularly working hours and family support, but any posting is what you make of it.

Smakheed is right, stop fannying about and take the posting - you may never get another offer.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I'll take it!!
I have it on JPA and any other type posting preference available.

I guess you must have been offered to be asking about it?
Nice one.........I have heard a lot of the thing Vim has said. (We had a lad from here go)

In the meantime I'll just mark time and never get anywhere on the drafters list..............:pDT_Xtremez_26: