• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kit for RTC at RAF Halton

M

mhobknob

Hi guys I am due to start at Recruit Training Squadron, RAF Halton in the coming weeks and am just finishing off buying all of my kit. I have a couple of issues regarding my kit list that I would just like to clear up, apologies for sounding like a bit of a newbie pleb! There are only a few items of kit (listed below) that I just want to check. Do I have to bring everything that is included - as in, are they likely to check that I have brought all of the items included in the kit list or are there some items that just simply will never be used during training and having dragged them down to Halton, will just make clutter? The items I mean include:

Plain Shorts (Preferably dark coloured) 1 Pair; Plain T-shirts (Preferably dark coloured) 1 Pair - Will this be for just wearing in the evenings during uniform/block upkeep, etc. as I thought we were issued the classic OG t-shirt and blue slave pants for PT on Day 01?

Large Towel, Hand Towel and Face Cloth (2 of each) - Will you need that many towels?

Ironing board - It has not been included on my Kit List, although most people seem to recommend bringing one so that you can just crack on with your ironing at your leisure without having to wait around for others to finish with the boards.

Shoe dividers – Obviously not on the kit list, but I was thinking of taking one of those fabric drop-down ‘shoe divider’ things from Ikea that you hang from the metal beam inside a wardrobe (in my personal locker) just to give a little more practical storage space to put little trinkets and such in. Would anyone recommend it? Also – are there any additional pieces of kit/tricks of the trade that anyone would recommend to make life through Halton easier?

I hope I’m not trying to arrive at Halton too light, but I am more than aware of the significant amount of kit I will have to lump up to my Phase 2 training unit so am trying to keep it all to a minimum now at the start.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

unruly1986

Sergeant
As far as I can remember you are right in that the shorts/t-shirts are just for kicking about in during evening block jobs etc.

Towels - maybe 2 large, one hand, one face (should be able to buy things like this from the Naffi there).

Drop down divider - Good thing to take

Ironing board - if you are driving there, take one. Otherwise you should be able to get one locally or there may even be some around the block. Just be quick to grab one..!

M

mhobknob

Excellent, thanks very much for the reply!

Does anyone know whether they will check that you have all of the items listed on the kit list and the correct quantity of them also though? I don't want to drop myself in it from Day 1 if so!

Also - Obviously wet razor for when on Exercise Blue Warrior or any training you do out in the field.. but will you be expected to shave with a wet razor only throughout the course/or when in the block could you shave with an electric razor providing it gives close enough shave? As I often get bad shaving rash from regular wet shaving.

Cheers.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I may stand corrected on this one, but one of the best purchases I ever made before entering both Halton and Cranwell was a cheap vacuum cleaner to stash in the wagon.

Reason? One shagged out service issue hoover per half floor is the norm, or even less - always going U/S and ALWAYS being stashed by some jack B so they get to use it first in the morning.

Buy one yourself and life is good (and it's a useful item revenue wise)

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Excellent, thanks very much for the reply!

Does anyone know whether they will check that you have all of the items listed on the kit list and the correct quantity of them also though? I don't want to drop myself in it from Day 1 if so!

Also - Obviously wet razor for when on Exercise Blue Warrior or any training you do out in the field.. but will you be expected to shave with a wet razor only throughout the course/or when in the block could you shave with an electric razor providing it gives close enough shave? As I often get bad shaving rash from regular wet shaving.

Cheers.

The kit list is a list of 'suggested items' and is by no means definitive.

You will defiantly need to wet shave every day, but should you REALLY have issues, speak with you Flight Staff and the Medics on Day 01 and they 'may' be able to sort something out...

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I may stand corrected on this one, but one of the best purchases I ever made before entering both Halton and Cranwell was a cheap vacuum cleaner to stash in the wagon.

Reason? One shagged out service issue hoover per half floor is the norm, or even less - always going U/S and ALWAYS being stashed by some jack B so they get to use it first in the morning.

Buy one yourself and life is good (and it's a useful item revenue wise)

Bl**dy H*ll I feel old now. Vacuum Cleaner? I can't recall any carpets in the blocks at Swinderby. Just list of lovely shiney floors that needed constant bulling.

Bl**dy H*ll I feel old now. Vacuum Cleaner? I can't recall any carpets in the blocks at Swinderby. Just list of lovely shiney floors that needed constant bulling.[/QUOTE

It is true, H&S has even got into the Barrack Blocks, the bedrooms are carpeted, as the shiny floors are a H&S risk (but the stairs are still polished? go figure).
Now the good news, the carpet is the closest thing we could find to velcro, and collects fluff really well.....and the hoovers are not the best in the world, too much use, and no funds to replace them....so they still spend as much time on their hands and knees as we did at Swinderby.....weights and balances :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Brackens

SAC
IF you get shaving rash don't bother telling your flight staff before it happens because they can't do anything until it happens at which point its a simple process of getting a med centre appointment and no shaving chit will be issued. if you can use an electric razor and get a really close shave and not get caught then thats fine but if you get caught either with facial hair or with the clippers in your locker then expect to be in the sh*t

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
We made a point of buying clippers so we always looked smart, mind you this was like 9 years ago! Then again we got in the crap for sleeping in sleeping bags so we didn't have to make down and then make up our bed packs every morning!

D

Dribble

In regards of all the kit we are going to take down i will be driving down, i have a large gym like bag but dont think this will fit everything in - was about 2/3rds full for prtc even though I took way more things than required just in case... - Knowing that space is limited at halton could i bring alot of the stuff down in a larger suitcase - So it doesnt all get forced into my bag - and then once at halton remove all these things to my locker space and then leave the empited suitcase in the boot of my car as to save room?

Northern Monkey

Corporal
Bags can be labelled up and placed in a baggage room if required. Doesn't necessarily have to go in the boot of your car. There is no reason why you can't bring a suitcase.

D

Dribble

Thanks. Just figured easier to take it down with an extra bag rather than try and squash everything in