• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just Stop Oil.

2018 UK food wastage was around >> 9.5 million tonnes <<.

The food retailers don't care about waste food as long as that food goes out of their stores in the hands of customers. So do we offset food waste against energy gain?
Food waste is in the hands of the consumers. We're probably all guilty of buying stuff on a whim.

However, and it's a big one. Loss of farmland to solar is increasing. While claims of less space taken than golf-courses etc abound in internetshire. They fail to take into account that the land under threat is usually arable land that could produce a respectable crop of cereal, oil seed rape or other crops for human, animal or fuel use. The model for the developers is to lease the land for 40 years or longer,to utilise an inefficient technology at great cost to consumers, bills are unlikely to fall unless the pricing model changes.

The link above shows power produced, and can be toggled to show longer periods, or even stats. What's sure is that solar, while it has some utility is not the answer, battery back-ups provide short term storage, but have all of the risks associated with large lithium batteries regarding disposal, incident response etc. The requirement for gas/coal capacity that can stop/ start on demand remains.

Solar has a role definitely, but there's a cost, fiscal, environmental and ethical. Is it one that we are willing to pay, while China continues to build coal fired power stations. It's a potentially emotive and polarising question for most , but we contribute circa 2% to the global CO2.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
2018 UK food wastage was around >> 9.5 million tonnes <<.

The food retailers don't care about waste food as long as that food goes out of their stores in the hands of customers. So do we offset food waste against energy gain?
I remember that, in good ‘ole Germany, we used to trim the leaves and outer layers off vegetables such as cabbages and colly’s into bins IN the Supermarkets, so they they took the general waste (just after we’d paid for it, mind)

In my poor opinion, nuclear is still the answer. We just have to convince the wind farm idiots….

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
In my poor opinion, nuclear is still the answer. We just have to convince the wind farm idiots….

And the other big advantage to nuclear is that one of the massive by-products is hydrogen which can power hydrogen powered cars, but the electric brigade would rather keep digging massive holes to mine the crap needed to make the batteries which dont last and take hours to charge and will only go limited distance.

Opposed to electric, 5 mins to fill a tank and a 900 mile range. :unsure:

Last edited:

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
And the other big advantage to nuclear is that one of the massive by-products is hydrogen which can power hydrogen powered cars, but the electric brigade would rather keep digging massive holes to mine the crap needed to make the batteries which dont last and take hours to charge and will only go limited distance.

Opposed to hydrogen, 5 mins to fill a tank and a 900 mile range. :unsure:
Hindenburg in every car alas. Reason why we don't do it now.

Deltaitem

Corporal
NIMBYs . Ex Jag pilot as well. Trench by his holiday let's.

Yes indeed. Chipmunk pilots probably can't be trusted either.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm not so sure they're wrong. It is, apparently, good agricultural land used for crops so do you want power or food? There must be better sites that can't be used for food.
I agree that agricultural land shouldnt be used, but nowhere in the article does it say whether the land was currently being used for growing crops, and if not, when it was last used for growing crops. In fact, a previous article says most of the land was low grade agricultural land, which suggests that nothing has been grown on it, nothing is planned to grow on it, and the protestors are NIMBYS who want food and power, but from someone else's back yard..

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I agree that agricultural land shouldnt be used, but nowhere in the article does it say whether the land was currently being used for growing crops, and if not, when it was last used for growing crops. In fact, a previous article says most of the land was low grade agricultural land, which suggests that nothing has been grown on it, nothing is planned to grow on it, and the protestors are NIMBYS who want food and power, but from someone else's back yard..

From that article ...

Shazia Shujah from Red Lodge Parish Council said: "We are not against solar power, we're very much aware we need to look into green renewable energy, it's just the proximity to residents here and also the scale of this scheme."

I bet the farmers that could lose farmland are more than happy for their land to be used as solar farms ...

A fixed income each year,
No overheads,
No DEFRA inspections,
And every possibility, free electricity for the life of the solar farm.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The problem is still the govt, and everything they touch.

Nuclear may be the answer to the power problem, but outsourcing it to the Chinese at 10x the current rate, and still being charged for building it, doesn't make sense.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
If they were serious about renewables then ALL new builds should be forced to have solar panels during construction.

The promised 300000 new homes per year covered in panels might plug a little of that energy gap.
The lot building my house have not put any on the new builds on any site. I did see one site in Norfolk this weekend were solar panels were universally standard. It is the regulation that would drive this. Alas the idiots in government would not recognize good regulations if it hit them with a big red bus.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Yes indeed, this tory perception of regulations being evil, nanny state and all that shite just goes to show what a load of bollocks they constantly spout. And as for Johnson claiming to be the spirit of COP26/Glasgow, I seem to remember him getting a private jet back to London for a private dinner with one of his mates. What a w*nker! Anyway, rant over, get back to work.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Yes indeed, this tory perception of regulations being evil, nanny state and all that shite just goes to show what a load of bollocks they constantly spout. And as for Johnson claiming to be the spirit of COP26/Glasgow, I seem to remember him getting a private jet back to London for a private dinner with one of his mates. What a w*nker! Anyway, rant over, get back to work.
They cannot get glass, let alone solar panels.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Muppets were at it again.

Everyone is entitled to share their views but this young "activist" comes across as a triggered, hysterical, hormonal teenager reacting as though she's been asked to do the washing up.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The Muppets were at it again.

Everyone is entitled to share their views but this young "activist" comes across as a triggered, hysterical, hormonal teenager reacting as though she's been asked to do the washing up.

Any shred of credibility these wastes of skin have gets thrown out the window with the use of the word "demanding"

Deltaitem

Corporal
They want to stop all new oil and gas exploration. They're actually not asking for very much. It was kind of agreed to at COP26, then rolled back by Truss, and is currently up in the air with Sunak.
If the tories had actually stuck to what they agreed to just one year ago...

And slightly off topic, but women had to chain themselves to railings, go on hunger strike in prison, and kill themselves under the royal racehorses to get the vote. They are now viewed as heroes.

Last edited: