• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones Iron Fairy Crane

Flaccid

LAC
Hi. This may seem odd coming from an ex sooty but, do any of you remember the old Iron Fairy? Are there still any left in service? (doubtful) I ask because I have got myself involved in the restoration of one. Am trying to get old copies of the AP (4923A apparently). Any info would be good. If not it should give someone a good laugh.

Tinybeee

LAC
If you can, try and get in contact with the guys in MTMSS at MOD(Support) St Athan. I think we still have one in use.

Big Jock

SAC
Subscriber
I work at St Athan and there is no Iron Fairy there. All the AP`s etc were digitised some time ago and all that were not extant were destroyed. The last time I saw one was at Laarbruch in 93/94.

John

BillyH

LAC
Try Historic Military Vehicles Forum, they are bursting with informatin on just about everything.
Remember Iron Fairys lifting all manner of stuff around airfields in th 60's.

BillyH:pDT_Xtremez_39::pDT_Xtremez_39:

Last edited:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Not entirely sure (as I'm not a crane spotter!) but looking at the pictures on google images it looks the same as the one they use at Cosford.

It might be worth contacting their MTMS section... run by Babcocks.

HTB

Flaccid

LAC
Thanks for all that. Right about Jones Cranes, they will sell you stuff but won't tell you anything. Will give Cosford a ring next week.
Cheers for taking me seriously!