• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining as Weapon systems op (linguist)

252d

Hi all im interested in joining as a Weapon systems op (linguist), just looking for info on basic training, likely employments (OPSEC permiting) and promotion structures, as the official RAF site is a bit too "clinical"

Thanks in advance

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
252d said:
Hi all im interested in joining as a Weapon systems op (linguist), just looking for info on basic training, likely employments (OPSEC permiting) and promotion structures, as the official RAF site is a bit too "clinical"

Thanks in advance
right listen in if yous want you can join as a cunning linguist

P

part time rock

Basics are, you will not find out much about what it is as most of the linguists work is classified......

The recruitment process is nearly the same as WSOP, but if I remember before you go to OASC you have to go through a language test at Chicksands, where they see if you can pick up learn new languages.

Next its off to OASC, if you pass that then you get 9 weeks basic training at Halton, then 10 weeks wsop training then at some point off to Chicksands...then it goes a bit hazy.....

I seem to recall that you have to learn a new language to Degree standard and above.

Once qualified you would end up on the Nimrod R1.

Don't shoot me down if I am wrong on any of this, when I attended the WSOP presentation I switch off when I heard the words linguist mentioned.

Last edited:

252d

Cheers part time rock...... and penguins suck.

Should have explained im currently TA and understand about language selection (MLAT) and the 15 months at beaconsfield. But i was after more info on the wsop training, NC aircrew training and also wether linguists deployed overseas or do they spend all threre time flying from the uk?

P

part time rock

The best advice I can give is to contact your local AFCO, ask them about the Aircrew/wsop Presentation that is held at Cranwell....

PM me if you need anything else.

PS you don't want to be in the TA, join Rauxaf!

252d

part time rock said:
The best advice I can give is to contact your local AFCO, ask them about the Aircrew/wsop Presentation that is held at Cranwell....

PM me if you need anything else.

PS you don't want to be in the TA, join Rauxaf!

On the plus side less fcuk around factor, on the down side not as military do RauxAF still have female REGT gunners ffs

I would consider RauxAF if it wasn't for the distance tho...

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Yep the oggies still have female gunners. Not sure if they deploy or not though.

any one able to help on that?