• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It was 20 years ago today

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not the lyrics from the Beatles. The ending of the rule that meant just being on the other bus was a valid reason to boot you out of the services.

There was much crew room chatter at the time now who cares.

dkh51250

Sergeant
Weird to think that at my CIO interviews you were questioned on what you'd do if you encountered a gay serviceman/woman.
Yup, it was called "The statement of fundamental differences" It didn't just cover the question you were asked, but opened the door for further questions related to the "military lifestyle".

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I remember the day quite clearly...very dramatic release of the news by dragging us all in to the sqn theatre (posh name for a large room in the new building we just had moved into) and reading out the paper. Such was the mood at the time that a S/L Nav asked about sharing rooms on det with a gay chap. Our boss clearly hadn't thought about questions coming his way so stumbled out a 'I'm not sure you can refuse' to which said S/L got out of his seat, stated he wasn't sharing a room with a 'Bum Bandit' and walked out. The room then got very noisy and somewhere in that din the Boss was heard by some dismissing us and we all poked off to the mess for chips. Not one gay man pitched up in my remaining time on that fleet. Personally I couldn't have given a single sh*t if they had.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Does't this still fall under a security risk being Homosexual. During the eighties there was valid reasons in regards to the cold war. I can understand why Welsh servicemen were nervous in regards to being coerced by Soviet sheep infiltration :ROFLMAO: :whistle:
As todays enemy are not great fans of Homosexuals either. Would a set of extra rules be added if Homosexuals being caught during conflict i.e. Islamic conflicts.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Does't this still fall under a security risk being Homosexual. During the eighties there was valid reasons in regards to the cold war. I can understand why Welsh servicemen were nervous in regards to being coerced by Soviet sheep infiltration :ROFLMAO: :whistle:
As todays enemy are not great fans of Homosexuals either. Would a set of extra rules be added if Homosexuals being caught during conflict i.e. Islamic conflicts.
It might be a bit of a bummer if they were captured...