• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it possible to transfer from reserves to full-time?

henry02

LAC
As per title really... If I went for the reserves for a certain role... Would it then be possible to transfer to the full time RAF?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No direct transfer as such but it won't hinder your chances of joining, with the changes to the use of reserves it may become possible in the future, I doubt it's something they haven't thought about.

Entropy

Sergeant
This would be a question for the recruiters on here or your local AFCO. Are you thinking of changing trades or staying in the same trade? Pending correction form someone more knowledgeable in the area I believe that you would still have to wait for the trade to open.

I a need to put a caveat round this paragraph as this is only my experience within MY trade.

All the people that I know that have joined the regulars and changed trades have had to go back to square one i.e all of Halton and going back to LAC. I only know of one guy who stayed in trade but was a newly qualified SAC when moving over. He also had to do all of Halton and also went back to LAC but as I said this maybe a trade issue.

However if you are an Auggie then you should be at the front of the application process. In addition you will be able to see if the trade is for you and you should hit the ground running from a career point of view.

As stated at the beginning this really is a question for the recruiters but happy to

henry02

LAC
Thanks for the replies. I've just put in an application for the reserves. I was wondering about transferring more out of interest than anything else. I'm just over the age for normal RAF, but well inside reserve limits. But as you have pointed out things are due to be changing over the next few years.

I have a great normal job, that I don't want to give up, but still want to give the RAF a good crack. Obviously if I was really enjoying it a couple of years down the line it would be interesting to know if you can go full time then. In my case I guess not but will ask my afco

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The reserves have many full time opportunities, although they only open up rarely due to the different engagements compared to the regulars.

Sent from my Nexus 4