• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Invaliding Pension, work and tax

ExSumpy

LAC
Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice on tax and pensions. The basics are that I receive a service invaliding pension which is classed as service attributable. I am paid the occupational part tax free and the War Pension separate. I've not worked since leaving but now feel ready to try some work. Given employers are not keen on employing sick notes I don't intend on disclosing my med discharge and pension. This however throws up the issue of tax. Will I have to declare my tax free pension to them?

My thoughts are that Xafinity Paymaster administer my pension which carries a NT tax code, therefore my earnings will be subject to their own code and pension income will be disregarded. Ultimately I don't want a large tax bill, but I don't want to inform my new employer either.

Any thoughts?

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice on tax and pensions. The basics are that I receive a service invaliding pension which is classed as service attributable. I am paid the occupational part tax free and the War Pension separate. I've not worked since leaving but now feel ready to try some work. Given employers are not keen on employing sick notes I don't intend on disclosing my med discharge and pension. This however throws up the issue of tax. Will I have to declare my tax free pension to them?

My thoughts are that Xafinity Paymaster administer my pension which carries a NT tax code, therefore my earnings will be subject to their own code and pension income will be disregarded. Ultimately I don't want a large tax bill, but I don't want to inform my new employer either.

Any thoughts?
Your pension and it's tax free status is no ones business but yours and the tax man. A separate tax code will be issued for your new employer and associated wage/salary

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
SAPs and WPs are tax free so don't use up your tax allowances so you should not have to tell them about it.

You may have more of an issue if you withhold medical information once offered a job, as it could be considered as beach of contact.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

ExSumpy

LAC
Thanks guys.

On the subject of non-disclosure I have given it some thought. According to the disability act 2010 employers aren't allowed to ask about illness at interview now, and can only ask about disability post interview to decide if they need to accommodate any needs.

That said I'm torn on the issue. My feeling is with the job market as it is presently is to keep your mouth shut unless it impacts on your work ability. Any excuse to offer the job to someone else.

Speaking from personal experience, I would be upfront about it. I've hidden a long-term condition in the past and when it did flare up I had to try to hide it which made it worse. In all subsequent jobs I have been totally up front about it, explained to prospective employers that it was managed and would not impact on my work under normal conditions. When I then had problems (on very rare occasions) my employer was totally understanding and there wasn't a problem.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Slightly off topic but I recently got a huge TAX rebate from the TAX man. Not that I don't trust him but decided to give him a ring. Lo and behold he told me that my pension had been stopped and gave me a new TAX code. A quick call to Xafinity was made and they denied the cancellation. So back to the TAX man to inform him that he had made a cock up. Not the first time I have rang them over TAX issues, always best to check as a recent employer changed the TAX code to suit, as the TAX man told me at the time, yes, your Employer cocked up but you have my money and I want it back...

steve_k243

Sergeant
Thanks guys.

On the subject of non-disclosure I have given it some thought. According to the disability act 2010 employers aren't allowed to ask about illness at interview now, and can only ask about disability post interview to decide if they need to accommodate any needs.

That said I'm torn on the issue. My feeling is with the job market as it is presently is to keep your mouth shut unless it impacts on your work ability. Any excuse to offer the job to someone else.

You only have to mention disability after a firm job offer is made. If upon disclosure, post offer they decide that the post has suddenly closed or that you are unsuitable then you have a right to commence Industrial Tribunal procedures as this is clearly a case of discrimination.
Under normal circumstances you have to be in a job more than 120 days IIRC to commence action for unfair dismissal.

The whole point of the Equality Act is that apart from obvious factors (colour, amputations etc) candidates appear to be the "grey man/woman" Feel free to mention any illnesses etc once you have started--there is nothing they can do about it in the way of penalising you. Obviously if there are physical disabilities involved common sense would dictate that you don't go applying for physically demanding work.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
To claim for unfair dismissal you now need to do 2 years service if you started work after April this year, as far as discrimination is concerned you don't even have to be an employee.

Only disclose after offer and then the employer had to make reasonable adjustments if possible if it affects your work.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2