• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intranet links

3OCLOCKFINISH

Corporal
Why the big no no?

Obviously posting the information on here is a no go but surely the links post no harm?

The intranet is a bit of a mare to find the correct info on sometimes and surely being able to ask on here is a good thing?

eg if there was a 'guide to every NSN..ever!' I would love to hear about it as I'm sure would many others.

If it has come from a higher authority then furry muff!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Its on advice from 591 SU and brings the Goat in line with RAF policy. I take it you want to keep the Goat IGS friendly and be able to access it from work and when OOA? There are those out there that would love us to loose our IGS status and are looking for any excuse. So if we have to alter the way we do things slightly to keep IGS access for all you Goaters out there, we will.

Hope that helps.

3OCLOCKFINISH

Corporal
That's fair enough :)

I still personally think that posting a link does no harm whatsoever and could only really be of benefit but it that is what 591 say then who I'm I to argue!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I still personally think that posting a link does no harm whatsoever and could only really be of benefit but it that is what 591 say then who I'm I to argue!

It maybe to prevent hackers having a target URL to have a go at, or to prevent indexing engines picking up links an propagating them to search engines...I dont know either but the 591 guys know their stuff.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant

You post the Intranet link, no hassle, have to be on the Intranet to access.

Somebody then bleats they are not actually at work at present so they cannot access. Or their network does not support your URL, or they are biffs so what does it actually say.

Some other helpful soul then posts the entire contents of the link to be incredibly helpful.

Yes, you do no actual harm posting an Intranet link but some retard will then think it is ok to post the contents of your link on the WWW or to PM it to some bloke who says he is SF and it must be ok because you have posted a link.

Think of it as pre emptive anti retard and you are not far off.