• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I throw myself upon the mercy of the 'Goat....

Zulu Time

Trekkie Nerd
Morning, Goats!

I'm a recruit hopeful, doing my PTRC in June.

Any advice for a newbie is greatly welcome and gratefully received.

ZT

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Morning, Goats!

ZT

Have a look through the recruiting forums and make use of the search button.

When you do get in keep your eyes and ears open and gob shut.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Morning, Goats!

ZT

Perhaps a tadge more information from your good self would not go amiss with your request!
What Trade?
Commissioned?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
DON'T DO IT!!!

Only joking.

Agree with the post above, you need to give a little more info if you want anything more than basic feedback.

However, as far as basic feedback goes, here's my tuppence worth (that's an old coin for you young miscreants...) -

Basic training, be it Halton or Cranwell, is almost designed to be sh!te so that it pushes your buttons and boundaries - you can't re-shape a brick until you've crushed it to dust. Just go with the flow, pay attention to what's being asked of you and do EXACTLY that. If you put effort into what you're doing, you may actually enjoy it (and the 'screws' will leave you alone).

For everything and anything after this, my only advice would be - don't be a douche. If you act like a bellend then you'll be treated like one.

Last edited:

Zulu Time

Trekkie Nerd
Perhaps a tadge more information from your good self would not go amiss with your request!
What Trade?
Commissioned?

I'm looking to join the medics. I'm a qualified Emergency Medical Technician here in Ireland and am looking to progress on to paramedic. There seems to be better career options with the RAF than anything here!

I'm probably too old (32) to go for a commision. My PRTC is next tuesday, I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it at the same time.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
RAF website lists age limitations for commissioning in the trades, might be worth a look if you have the academic quals. I think for some trades the age limit for commission is 34/36?

Don't know enough about the Medic trade to offer anything of value about training for it, so all I can do is wish you luck.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
here's my tuppence worth (that's an old coin for you young miscreants...)

Hey W_B, you've got to be the oldest bloke on the forum! Especially if you remember the twopenny piece (that would be 2d not 2p). You didn't happen to know Pontius did you?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Hey W_B, you've got to be the oldest bloke on the forum! Especially if you remember the twopenny piece (that would be 2d not 2p). You didn't happen to know Pontius did you?

The wife would say I'm ancient, or at least I should be - she's 34 and I keep telling her she's getting near the top of the hill...

Suffice to say that I wasn't around at the time of the Romans, nor the tuppence (though I do remember being thrilled at getting a £1 NOTE as pocket money!)

My parents kept a small tin of old coins, that their parents had given them and so on and so on. Nothing of particular value I don't think (at the time), as they used to let us kids play shop with them when we were very young.

Zulu Time

Trekkie Nerd
RAF website lists age limitations for commissioning in the trades, might be worth a look if you have the academic quals. I think for some trades the age limit for commission is 34/36?

Don't know enough about the Medic trade to offer anything of value about training for it, so all I can do is wish you luck.

You've given me food for thought anyway! Thanks for your reply and your good wishes, hopefully I get through the PRTC and on to recruit training propper.

ZT

stereolab

Station Cashier
I'm looking to join the medics. I'm a qualified Emergency Medical Technician here in Ireland and am looking to progress on to paramedic. There seems to be better career options with the RAF than anything here!

I'm probably too old (32) to go for a commision. My PRTC is next tuesday, I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it at the same time.

Worry not, once you start the recruit phase, at age 32 years, you will almost certainly be made "Senior Man" and within 2 minutes spotty 18 year old oiks will be coming to you for advice.