• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Guard Shifts?

How Many Guard Shifts?

• Total voters
S

steve_r

Just interested in how many weeks of guard everyone has done in 2005.

I've heard people saying that we should all do guard either once or twice a year, so I'm thinking that my current count of 6 is slightly excessive, and some others are now into double figures.

Just wondering if this is the norm across the air force, or whether I should be counting myself lucky....... :D

Stax

Flight Sergeant
That is definitely a tad excessive! Most units are 1 to 2 a year, in fact at my unit, because FS/CT do Guard Commander that particular duty comes round once in the proverbial blue moon! However security isn't what it should be. One guy on the gate, armed, to check passes as well, I thought that wasn't allowed, Chip et al can you put me straight?

J

Jag Fag

If you worked on my SQN, you'd be happy to do a bit af guard. The general concensus of the engineers is: 'Guard is GREAT - it's a holiday away from the flying club and you work regular hours'. There is one member of the SQN who has honestly volunteered to do a stint at B*****y Pr***y to get away.

Is moral really that low - YES :mad:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
Dare I say none, but in my defence I have spent 6 months OOA, and got back to find I had a decent new snec who refused to have me stitched up as soon as I got back to work. Top bloke :)

F

Fablon biff chit

None, but I was stitched for other duties because is was OOA in the Falklands.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
None

None

None cos I do the list.. :D :D :D :D
on a serious level 2 to 3 weeks a person per year at our flying club though I do know that at Tropical Paradise Lima (about 15 miles from Ice station Kilo) the resident Rock Sqn ring fenced 1 month a year and they did the lot for that month taking care of the rotas etc and that seemed to work well as they knew where they were at and the rest of the station got a break from guard. I hear that they liked it as well as the loading was light for a rock sqn.

P

Per Adua Ad PVR

What a bunch of Homs you lot are!

21 years ago, I had to guard US Nuclear weapons at RAF Greenham Common for a 3 month straight stint. (No I am not a Pig or Rock before you ask).

In those 3 months I received verbal abuse from lesbian CND tree hugging leftie communists who are probably sitting next to Tony Bliar on the front benches of Westminster today. They even used to throw their used tampons at us.

Stop bloody whinging about a short time on the main gate at RAF Middleofnowhere, you have never had it so good, unless you are on the maingate at Basrah of course!

Poofters!

P

Per Adua Ad PVR

Forgot to mention we used to used those tampons in place of our Naafi teabags, had more flavour, yum yum. :(

When I was at Honington in the early nineties (when it was TWCU and 13 Sqn,

before the Rocks wrecked the place) we used to do Augmentation Force (guard +

extras, anyone who has done an AF will know what I'm talking about) about every

three months, plus the days of training before your week on, good God I despised

AF.

P

Per Adua Ad PVR

Oh good old AF, forgot about that joyous duty!

Bleeper goes at 03.00hrs, run around in circles, collect weapon, lead by a baby Officer, run around in circles again, get on bus, drive around in circles, debus, lead by baby Officer, run around in circles, run 2 miles, advance in sections, run around in circles, get shot by RAF Pig sitting in his comfy Tower eating his hotlox and pretending to be important.

Happy days, totally bloody pointless and almost as much fun as getting abused by lesbian CND Labour Party supporters at Greenham!::/:

T

Twonston Pickle

Sorry to be a spoilsport but we should probably keep this thread fairly general; we may not keep buckets of instant sunshine anymore but a sister service might. I'd hate for one of us to give away any useful gen as to what happens on guard or how particularly lax any one flying club might be (think Snadhurts and the Currant Bun (Mis-spelling intentional)).

P

Per Adua Ad PVR

Twonston Pickle said:
Sorry to be a spoilsport but we should probably keep this thread fairly general; we may not keep buckets of instant sunshine anymore but a sister service might. I'd hate for one of us to give away any useful gen as to what happens on guard or how particularly lax any one flying club might be (think Snadhurts and the Currant Bun (Mis-spelling intentional)).

Talk about giving the game away! If the enemy didn't understand what we were talking about, they do now!:pDT_Xtremez_08:

Nice one TP!:pDT_Xtremez_06:

At a guess you must be a Admin Bluntie?:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Chaka

Sergeant
Per Adua,

Nah, Twonston was probably the Copper shooting at you from the watchtower!:pDT_Xtremez_32::pDT_Xtremez_30: