• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hong kong tips

Were planning to stop over for 2-3 days here and wonder if any Goaters have been there recently and got any tips .
A colleague of mine has just come back and he didnt rate it at all, said it was a tourist trap now full off Gucci shops.
Hotels do seems very expensive if you want to be near the harbour with a view, guess thats to be expected.
cheers for any info

Jaydubwa

LAC
I was there for 3 years in late 80's not recent I know but it was a tourist trap with gucci shops then. They have an excellent travel system called the MTR so you could get cheaper accommodation further away from the Harbour. I lived on the Island in Wanchai but stayed in YWCA for a night, that was cheap, if its still there, and close to harbour. Lot to take in for 2-3 days - The Peak is a must and lots of open markets on both the Island and mainland. Had a great time there but as I said not recent and they have had a change of ownership.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
I was there for 3 years in late 80's not recent I know but it was a tourist trap with gucci shops then. They have an excellent travel system called the MTR so you could get cheaper accommodation further away from the Harbour. I lived on the Island in Wanchai but stayed in YWCA for a night, that was cheap, if its still there, and close to harbour. Lot to take in for 2-3 days - The Peak is a must and lots of open markets on both the Island and mainland. Had a great time there but as I said not recent and they have had a change of ownership.

My son was there not long ago on a 3-day stopover between Blighty and Oz. There's a comprehensive guide book you can buy with all manner of things to do, places to visit, places to stay in it. Enjoy!

fishing for a bite

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I was there about 10 years ago, but "Joe bananas" was an expat bar that was ok. And the best Harry Ramsdens I ever had was in Hong Kong! The South Pacific hotel wasn't bad and not too expensive either.

But it was a long time ago... when an xxxxl tshirt wasn't skin tight. :)

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
If you have enough time; try to get across to Lantau island to see the huge Buddha and monastery. I would definitely go to Jumbo's restaurant or try
Kublai's, the food is fantastic.

I was just there 3 week ago for a week, for sure stay on Hong Kong island not Kowloon ( is the dark side and likely to get ripped off although the shopping is good there, if you want a really good night go to L.K.F (Lan Kai Fong) had a great night at Al's Diner there but there is basically 3/4 streets full of bars.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
I travel to HK a couple of times a year with work, and would have to say the answer depends very much on who 'we' is!

For example, a lads night out would be somewhere like : http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/drink/wanchai-bar-guide-054732 - safe enough for most people, little bit naughty - but you can still tell the wife where you have been etc

Lockhart Rd has some interesting bars and shows - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhart_Road - I could probably give a few hints in places there as well - let me know how depraved a place you want and I'll send on a selection ;-)

For something a bit more 'family' - these are all a good bet : http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g294217-l111-Hong_Kong.html the peak is a must, and Lantau Island, I also liked the ride to Ngong peak, and the Star ferry is a must.

Hotels, as with all cities, look for deals, see what points you have, or stay somewhere just off the waterfront (more affordable and transport links are good)

I'd recommend a goats on tour for the HK sevens!..

Hope that helps...