• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hi

Snowbeast

LAC
Morning,

Thought I would introduce myself.
I've been lurking for a while and decided to register last night.

I am not in the RAF (yet) but have applied to become a gunner.
My aptitude tests and interview is being held next week.

Previously I worked as a financial adviser under supervision, but the desk part of it sucked the life out of me.
I would rather spend 75% of my waking hours doing something I want to do as opposed to chasing money.

After looking at the different forces websites the gunners made an impression on me, I didn't know this role even existed up until 5 weeks ago.

My fitness is my biggest worry coming from a desk/travel job, but I'm on it.
I do 40mins of Cardio in the gym in the mornings and weights at night (all light weights) I then do my dreaded pushups and sit ups at home.

Thank you for an informative forum such as this. It provides a lot of relevant information for prospective recruits such as myself.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Morning,

Thought I would introduce myself.
I've been lurking for a while and decided to register last night.

I am not in the RAF (yet) but have applied to become a gunner.
My aptitude tests and interview is being held next week.

Previously I worked as a financial adviser under supervision, but the desk part of it sucked the life out of me.
I would rather spend 75% of my waking hours doing something I want to do as opposed to chasing money.

After looking at the different forces websites the gunners made an impression on me, I didn't know this role even existed up until 5 weeks ago.

My fitness is my biggest worry coming from a desk/travel job, but I'm on it.
I do 40mins of Cardio in the gym in the mornings and weights at night (all light weights) I then do my dreaded pushups and sit ups at home.

Thank you for an informative forum such as this. It provides a lot of relevant information for prospective recruits such as myself.

Officer or Airman? As a rock officer you still have the opportunity to use your brain (on occasion)
How old are you? I could think of nothing worse than joining as a rock later in life - it doesn't get any easier

Have you looked at other trades? To be a Financial Advisor, i am sure you must have done some education, training etc, it would be a shame to waste that. In the RAF you could still use your skills and get away from the desk ie gym sessions, Adventure Training, Force Development, Deployments etc, which would also give you a better CV for when you move back into Civvy St.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Snowbeast

LAC
Thank you for the welcomes and replies.

One thing I seemed to have missed was I am South African, married to a British citizen who grew up in South Africa. My girls are South African.

@Dan_Brown

I would like to become an officer, however I did not mention in my first post I am South African and I had learning difficulties at school, I passed with a Uni exemption, but it is not enough for an officer position.
Once I was out of school I went on a course to address this with a positive result.
I will hopefully do my GCSE's apply from within.

I hold firm in wanting to be a gunner for many reasons, but at the same time Sir, I appreciate your insight. It did make me look at other oppurtunities within the RAF.

Yesterday I completed my AST and passed for gunner and other roles.
My interview went well and I have a date for my medical.

Once again, thank you for this forum!

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Thank you for the welcomes and replies.

One thing I seemed to have missed was I am South African, married to a British citizen who grew up in South Africa. My girls are South African.

@Dan_Brown

I would like to become an officer, however I did not mention in my first post I am South African and I had learning difficulties at school, I passed with a Uni exemption, but it is not enough for an officer position.
Once I was out of school I went on a course to address this with a positive result.
I will hopefully do my GCSE's apply from within.

I hold firm in wanting to be a gunner for many reasons, but at the same time Sir, I appreciate your insight. It did make me look at other oppurtunities within the RAF.

Yesterday I completed my AST and passed for gunner and other roles.
My interview went well and I have a date for my medical.

Once again, thank you for this forum!

Good luck and good speed on joining up.
Worth every penny to enjoy the years and take every opportunity when getting advancements.
Best wishes from ex RAFITE 81-90 John N Oakes

Snowbeast

LAC
One more thank you for your replies and advice.
Unfortunately I did not pass my medical.
It was a combination of my BMI and a waiting period of some medicine I was on this year.

I will be going back to South Africa in March as my visa expires then.
It will be too tight legally to come back in 3 months.

The good news is I will be applying for my spousal visa and will return in August 2020 fitter and hungrier.