• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hello.

Hi. I am new here and am dead interested in war stuff.

I want to join the RAF and have been through your recruit forums which were very helpful, but I have loads of questions which could not be answered.

I am not sure where to start asking questions on this site because there are lots of places to post so any help will be great.

Thx

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi. I am new here and am dead interested in war stuff.

Not wanting to put a downer on you but try going and see how "fun" it really is.

the reality is while enjoyable and a bit more varied (dependent on trade) nowadays its just a job.

I for one have seen things id rather forget and am glad im gone, And im still considered a "young un" with 16 years done in 2012.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Strangely enough I wouldn't worry about wars or conflicts or skirmishes. The fun was being with like minded people and enjoying a good career with the various tours or postings. If the military feel you worth going to war then they will only be to happy to accommodate your wish if you qualify enough. During the eighties we had the Falkland Islands war in 1982. There was already enough people qualified to go down yet I was not trained until after the conflict, but I was working to make sure I was doing my bit. But this allowed me an open door later to work in central america in the jungle and live and work with the guys who actually fought there. Each were happy to tell their stories and the vomit inducing tales that cannot be publish to this day. Yet in the end I did to two tours to the Falklands and learn form the locals how the experiences the Argies. Much later before I left in 1990 i was helping in the Desert Shield in my way. So in a small way without being physically involved I did my bit in the background. Remember without support the front will collapse.
Hope this helps a bit.
PS If you feel you want to join, any of the services regardless has to see if you are good enough first. Remember you join to make a career and to enjoy the experience for how many years you wish have.
1. Except the basic.
2. Knuckle down and study hard.
3. Enjoy the rewards.