• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have standards dropped since AATC FSOs WERE CONTRACTED OUT?

L

lovepasty

As a Q AATC FSO I feel that the standard of person leaving Shawbury has fallen through the floor. New Rodneys and Jemimas and fast trackers interact with FOA/FOMs as if they are from another planet and they certainly are not as ready for the job as was pre March 1998. Any opinions ?

Last edited:
M

maninthevan

I'm at a station where we have quite a few fast trackers, and to be honest, I have found most of them to be switched on indiviuals. The fast trackers that have completed JATCC have fitted in seemlessly. They respect the guys that have done it the 'long way' and aren't afraid to turn round and ask advice of the longer serving guys.

So in answer to your question lovepasty, no I don't. (unless my station is the exception to the rule)

J Y Kelly

Corporal
I always thought it a little odd that when I was blip driving in the early 80's it was considered to be one of the worst jobs in the trade. Certainly not an easy job, the misfits, failures were sent to the Tower. I was surprised that attitudes had changed, about 10 years later many of the drivers considered themselves some kind of elite.

To try and tie up the contracting out of the FSO's and your perceived drop in standards is tenuous at best. There have been many other changes in many other areas since 1998. As I recall there wasn't a great deal of interaction between the drivers and the students and not much that would give them an insight into life outside the training environment. A little help and guidance from established Junior Officers and SNCO's at their new unit would be much more beneficial to anyone leaving Shawbury rather than simply blaming the system. Perhaps an environment that is supportive to new arrivals doesn't fit in with the established culture that your workplace. Most of us have worked in Towers where you could cut the atmosphere with a knife, not the kind of place where your going to get the best out of anyone.

Are you sure that your not looking at the past through rose coloured glasses? Those carefree, alcohol fuelled, days of your youth, fresh meat turning up at TTF every week, regular Grads and "Meet and Greets." If I recall correctly it wasn't all sweetness and light.

Chaka

Sergeant
Thread title is 'Have standards dropped since AATC FSOs were contracted out?'

Lovepasty- Not to sure how you link civvie FSOs to the quality of Officers and SNCOs/Fast Trackers leaving the CATCS training system?

Explain your logic please.:pDT_Xtremez_35: