• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gunners and stable belts (and a possibly confused older bloke)...

So, odd question... did Regiment types ever, on the rare occasion they had to wear working blue with jersey, wear their stable belts over the jumper like some army regiments do? And, do they ever nowadays?

Was chatting with an ex-RAF bod about Regiment 'differences' and he said he was adamant that the belts were worn that way. When I came to think about it, I realised that I'd never actually seen a Gunner with reason to wear a blue pullover and a stable belt at the same time...

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm fairly sure that as members of the RAF the rocks are supposed to adhere to RAF dress regs, so they probably shouldn't. That said they do seem to prefer to look like they are Army a lot of the time.

morse1001

Sergeant
Back in when, I was in the Mob, we could wear stable belts over the wooly pulley. I gave my stable belt to a woman I knew. She wore it with her stable kit, when we went horse riding.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
IIRC they used to and, I believe, QCS still do even though it is not in accordance with AP1358. (mind you the Corps tends to ignore the dress regs it doesn't like).

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Same as all the Army throbbers who put a green belt over the top of a jacket? They even do it with MTP why?

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
Same as all the Army throbbers who put a green belt over the top of a jacket? They even do it with MTP why?

Ah I know the answer to that... It's a paratrooper thing. It was invented to stop your smock flapping in the air as you jump out a Dakota over Arnhem or Normandy.

morse1001

Sergeant

If you look at the photo of John Nicol as a J/T on TCW in his book "Tornado Down" you will see him posing wearing a webbing belt over his DPM jacket.

Like the other's said: because their dress regs say they have to?

Cheers, Climebear. I'm glad I wasn't being spun a line by the crafty old git.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Ah I know the answer to that... It's a paratrooper thing. It was invented to stop your smock flapping in the air as you jump out a Dakota over Arnhem or Normandy.

I'm sure with the invention of the 'drawstring' inside smocks and jackets there is no need to look like a tw4t anymore when jumping out of a serviceable aircraft, I am sure a brown job will pop along in a mo and put us all right. No wonder we cant get issued a belt if they all need 2 each!

RBK & C

LAC
The only time I wore a stable belt was over blue jumper and while at the Regt Depot at RAF Catterick, I was there 1980. Only ever wore it over blue, never wore it over green, ever, because we never wore green jumpers. It was ALWAYS either shirt sleeves (green or khaki) or shirt and DPM jacket. I don't ever remember wearing just a green jumper and no DPM jacket.

My last Sqn was II Sqn when it was still at RAF Hullavington & I don't recall ever seing anyone there wearing a stable belt over green jumper, apart from one ex-QCS Cpl, that said he was about the only one on II Sqn who wore a green jumper anyway.