• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GSS jobs at Coningsby / Leuchars

R

risk

Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you on here are posted in one of the TG4 GSS posts? Or if anyone has any gen about them?

What does the job entail? is it any good?

Very broad questions i know but hey.....

cheers

T

The Masked Geek

SAC - Bumming about and fixing the odd screen.
Cpl - Bumming about and fixing the odd computer.
Sgt - Bumming about, directing all the other bumming abouts and pretending you know something about how Oracle / TCP/IP works..

Or you may be employed to maintain some medium sized Oracle databases both on the MOB and out on Det.

Thrown into the mix are a goodly number of client machines to maintain and the odd airshow.

You'll also get some good training to boot.

Party line:

The Typhoon GSS comprises of subsystems that provide crucial functions in support of the Typhoon aircraft.

Very broad - and in some cases non-factual - answers I know but hey........:pDT_Xtremez_14:

meagain

LAC
I think that should read:

I think that should read:
Party line:

The Typhoon GSS comprises of subsystems that were meant to provide crucial functions in support of the Typhoon aircraft.and the nice man from NETMA said we had to buy it

Very broad - and in some cases non-factual - answers I know but hey........:pDT_Xtremez_14:

GSS at Coningsby

GSS at Coningsby

If you like a job where the training is non-existent and the courses you do get have nothing to do with the kit you're working in.
If you like being in a job where you don't know what is going on...ever. If you don't mind being sh@t on from great heights virtually every day...

then go for it. You'll love it. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

It doesnt have so many people striving to get away from the place for nothing you know!

T

The Masked Geek

If you like a job where the training is non-existent and the courses you do get have nothing to do with the kit you're working in.

That explains a lot. However, I have seen the GSS training package and if it's followed and you have the smarts, you'll understand what you're doing perfectly well.

Hopefully your new man will sort things out.

Last edited:
That explains a lot. However, I have seen the GSS training package and if it's followed and you have the smarts, you'll understand what you're doing perfectly well.

Hopefully your new man will sort things out.

Seeing the training package is not actually getting the training package unless you are from Up North(?)...but I do the think the "New Man" will definately be a great addition. Heres hoping.
The problem is just the frustration in not being clued up on the "core business" package where all the questions on a day to day basis are asked.

Imagine getting posted into a new section and not having the training required to be able to answer the phone for ANY question. You learn more on det if you have enough nonce to ask questions to the aircraft trades abougt the system that you are administrating. Apart from that...bring on the GSS training package, by the way, ask the "Up North" guys if they are confident on working on the kit.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

T

The Masked Geek

bring on the GSS training package, by the way, ask the "Up North" guys if they are confident on working on the kit.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I know I am and I don't even work in GSS. Mind you, I have been running 4 custom ESS databases for the last 3 years with nothing more than GSS work instructions to work from. Two of which are on the same box - which I was told would never work.

TBH, the "old" man didn't have much aptitude for IT (even the basics from what I have seen) which probably affected the training you've received. If you don't understand it, how can you train others......

Your new guy is a top bloke I know from old so things should improve.

As for the "up north" guys, one of them is a good friend and he reported being used as a GSS lackey more than he was actually trained......

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you on here are posted in one of the TG4 GSS posts? Or if anyone has any gen about them?

What does the job entail? is it any good?

Very broad questions i know but hey.....

cheers

Hi Risk,

I personally enjoyed the job a lot. A very varied job for our trade and not like anything I'd worked before. I agree with the comments about training but it is a relatively new section/concept and is still a work in progress, and is getting better daily.

I went on some fantastic detachments all around the world (Not just the odd Airshow) and enjoyed working with the squadrons whilst out there.

The work is varied, ranging from day to day IT fafs to in depth Network/Oracle/SQL faults.

Also like the guys before me have eluded to, "the new guy" is all over it and it's all on the up .

Hope this helps if not a little late.

A

afc4life

Response from 1 in the job

Response from 1 in the job

stfu From one who's been in the job 7 years and is damn good at what he does (anybody who known me will validate). Lots of posts from a fair few people who don't seem to have a clue what they're talking about. Yes, there are issues. Yes, there are training deficits. Yes, it's a bumpy ride at the moment but ..........
If you can be bothered to get off your FA and maybe learn a little off your own back instead of waiting to be spoon fed what you need to know then it won't take long for you to shine.
If you know a little about PC's and are willing to learn then the world's your oyster, along with my respect........
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth.

It's over to you.

T

The Masked Geek

From one who's been in the job 7 years and is damn good at what he does

Here's another trumpet to blow on:

702401.jpg

BTW, did the VLAN work this time? Not quite sure how they could fcuk that up mind........:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:
A

afc4life

Never trust a muppet

Never trust a muppet

If I don't blow it no fcucker else will.

Oh, and VLAN, that's what you get for trusting some other muppet to do their job properly.

Attachments

• smile.jpg
    smile.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 0

tonymacca

LAC
Does anyone know if there are any jobs going at Leuchars?, i applied in Jan 10 and was told no problem, now the party line(fm psf) seems to be "you are on the top of the pile of gen apps, as soon as a post becomes available you've got it!"

seven months down the line and after finding out that 2 cpls have been posted there im getting a bit miffed!!!!!!