• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting fit

N

nickc847

Sorry not sure if this is in the right place so maybe the moderators will move it if not.
I'v got my PGAC coming up in a couple of weeks and I found interval running works wonders if you want quicker/great results for getting fit. For weeks I'v been running at a steady pace trying to beat my 3 mile time on every run and although this will get you fit it's not a scratch on the kind of results you will get from interval running. Google 'interval running' and feel your stamina grow haha. Hope this is a help

N

Nombie

Old post but I thought I'd bring it to life.

I must say that interval training does indeed work wonders. I started off my running regime with some simple 20-30minute runs 5 days a week. After speaking to with someone in the careers office I quickly noticed that I hadn't set myself any goals and promptly went out to time my 1.5mile run, came in at 10mins 40. I decided that in-between doing my 1.5mile runs, 3mile runs I would do some interval training.

sprint for 1 minute, slow jog for 2 minutes. Repeated this for 20minutes at the moment I cover about 2 1/4miles doing this. In just a week my 1.5mile running has dropped to 10mins 10. You will feel the burn afterwards though!

I also hear that interval training is a great way to bring your fitness up for the bleep test. Can honestly say that is the one thing I am dreading about doing in my fitness tests. I remember doing it at school and hating every second of it. I'm terrible, at the moment, at managing my pace to certain levels so starting off slow enough to keep my endurance, but quick enough to get back will be a challenge!

ScoobTech

Sergeant
sprint for 1 minute, slow jog for 2 minutes. Repeated this for 20minutes at the moment I cover about 2 1/4miles doing this. In just a week my 1.5mile running has dropped to 10mins 10. You will feel the burn afterwards though!

I also hear that interval training is a great way to bring your fitness up for the bleep test. Can honestly say that is the one thing I am dreading about doing in my fitness tests. I remember doing it at school and hating every second of it. I'm terrible, at the moment, at managing my pace to certain levels so starting off slow enough to keep my endurance, but quick enough to get back will be a challenge!

Once you start to get used to it, start brining the rest down to a more equal footing, then start taking the amount of time your running effort to a longer time than your rest. This will start to work wonders with your recovery, Not how you feel, but how fast your heart rate drops to a nominal level. I tend to use around 120 Beat per minute as my recovered rate. And can usually get down from 170+ to around 120 in about a min. If you want to keep it going start ramping up the total excersise time up, as it all helps make you fitter.

N

Nombie

Definitely, at the moment I'm pushing myself to really go past my limits without obviously causing myself injury, and will be working on lowering my rest times in comparison with the full exertion time. Looking forward to it!

Picked myself up some BCAA+ as well to help with general recovery time as well, because every time after I do interval training, I almost die at work the next day, feel my legs will fall off! haha

ScoobTech

Sergeant
For post excersise recovery, the most important period is the first hour straight after. If you can get food and nutriants down you in that period, it will have a vast impact on your general recovery.

N

Nombie

Protein shake always comes straight out after the run, along with an electrolyte drink as well. Tuna & cucumber sandwich sometimes makes the rounds if I have time, will make sure to always have time for something after though!