• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get with the programme!!

Do you all not know that it is no longer called lean! They have leaned it, it is now called VSA????

Value Stream Analysis.

I know because I slept through a briefing about it just today:pDT_Xtremez_08:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Blue Van Man said:
Do you all not know that it is no longer called lean! They have leaned it, it is now called VSA????

Value Stream Analysis.

And when this term becomes a dirty word I predict we will use 'TQM' (Total Quality Management).

After that there are a number of other, less popular but equally ill fitting terms from the Japanese business renaissance period to choose from...

Muppets....:pDT_Xtremez_25:

T

The Masked Geek

Vim_Fuego said:
And when this term becomes a dirty word I predict we will use 'TQM' (Total Quality Management).

After that there are a number of other, less popular but equally ill fitting terms from the Japanese business renaissance period to choose from...

Muppets....:pDT_Xtremez_25:

TQM is always fodllowed by AL1,2,3,4,etc.

B

Bluntend

I was under the impression that Lean is the philosophy and VSA is part of the the process that delivers it. VSA, from what I remember is when you analyse what processes are carried out and decide which are important and which are 'wasteful'. You then remove the waste. Ok in principle, but if you (not you personally but those fantastic all knowing £2000 a day consultants and 'facilitators) don't understand the system properly or are under pressure to cut waste even when there is none, you end up losing actual capability/flexibility/ability.

As Vim said - Muppets!

:pDT_Xtremez_32:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

how refreshing it is to be in a company that is expanding as opposed to receding up it's own management's inflated posterior.

a 'real' can do attitude, if capability doesn't exist, they invest. 'Lean' is unheard of, they are just building the processes from scratch to be without waste.

So which £2000 a day facilitator looked at the naming system, was put under pressure to reduce it to just 3 letters, wrapped it in all the latest management buzzwords without adding any value and came up with VSA then?

M

MyShineyAr$e

Bluntend said:
I was under the impression that Lean is the philosophy and VSA is part of the the process that delivers it. VSA, from what I remember is when you analyse what processes are carried out and decide which are important and which are 'wasteful'. You then remove the waste. Ok in principle, but if you (not you personally but those fantastic all knowing £2000 a day consultants and 'facilitators) don't understand the system properly or are under pressure to cut waste even when there is none, you end up losing actual capability/flexibility/ability.

As Vim said - Muppets!

Spot on Bluntend. We had a Lean Event a few weeks ago and part of it was the VSA, where we went through all our processes at work by putting post it notes on the wall which detailed each stage of the process. We then looked at each stage to see if it added any value to the customer. Once this process was completed the 'expert' then offered to conduct a Rapid Improvement Event to relieve Cosford Plc. of several thousand pounds.

Lean my ar$e.

B

Bluntend

It works fine until the post-it notes blow off the wall and the facilitator sticks them back in the wrong place or forgets to stick them back at all. Don't be surprised if in a few years, when an unused and abandoned crew room is being converted into offices for BAES/Marshalls/RR/Boeing etc, a whole host of post-its will be found down the back of an old sofa or behind a cupboard with terms like 'fix the snag' and 'launch aircraft' written on them.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Bluntend said:
It works fine until the post-it notes blow off the wall and the facilitator sticks them back in the wrong place or forgets to stick them back at all. Don't be surprised if in a few years, when an unused and abandoned crew room is being converted into offices for BAES/Marshalls/RR/Boeing etc, a whole host of post-its will be found down the back of an old sofa or behind a cupboard with terms like 'fix the snag' and 'launch aircraft' written on them.

Bluntend

Thats fcuking tops that is, we've just moved into an office previously used by the Lean team that worked on PSFs we found a bunch of Post Its

One said "don't buy it" another said "won't work" a third said "JPA" any idea what that might mean??????:pDT_Xtremez_09:

B

BigNose

Blue Van Man said:

Value Stream Analysis.

Are you sure?

I thought it was a motorbike!

B

Ben Dwonin

lean have decleared our "c-stores" as too big and obviously cost the RAF millions of pounds a year, so it has been scaled back. so now we wait around all night till the stackers finally delivery our washers from 17 miles up the road, and this is saving the raf money. yeah right

skevans

Flight Sergeant
lean = 4 letters
VSA = 3 letters

There you go, think of all the ink we have saved by removing a letter!

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
skevans said:
lean = 4 letters
VSA = 3 letters

There you go, think of all the ink we have saved by removing a letter!

And now after you have saved time, effort, ink and money by removing a letter, lets remove post-it notes from the Stationery Catalogue and instead maybe consider using a whiteboard to problem snag, resolve, abuse and ignore.

Why can't we all just go back to 1918 and start again from scratch. Everything worked fine then!!!!!!!

D

DrunkenMonki

Done 2 lean events. Last one finished up with a Flt Lt, a Flt sgt, a C/T, A Sgt, 8 Cpls and a random civvi.... painting a HAS. So that people know where to put GSE. Which the RAF doesn't even own. Please dont ask OC GEF where their stuff is, they will just tell you hat the Sgt tells them. And he doesnt know either. 3 riggers drove 113 miles (within the camp boundary) to find a cherry picker over the course of 4 days. Wonderful days on the lean team. Hope i'm safe in my new job, but you never can tell...

yup, our supply system has been leaned.

S**T it is, no supplier in our HES, so no spares or help with anything like that.

all over phone now, so crap service, long delivery times (2 civvies in an LDV)

So now you phone through your order, then wait 2 hours for the cnut to show up with you spares, oh and the tools have gone to rats**t too.

NICE

M

Mr SelfDestruct

Ben Dwonin said:
lean have decleared our "c-stores" as too big and obviously cost the RAF millions of pounds a year, so it has been scaled back. so now we wait around all night till the stackers finally delivery our washers from 17 miles up the road, and this is saving the raf money. yeah right

At least your washers have to travel, ours move about 200m and can take 3 hours to pitch up if you fax your demand at the wrong time (we can't even phone demands through anymore it isn't LEAN enough).

E

Edzar

WindYerNeckIn said:
yup, our supply system has been leaned.

S**T it is, no supplier in our HES, so no spares or help with anything like that.

all over phone now, so crap service, long delivery times (2 civvies in an LDV)

So now you phone through your order, then wait 2 hours for the cnut to show up with you spares, oh and the tools have gone to rats**t too.
NICE
If the tools have gone to bad, that's your fault...if its broken, demand a new one or report it to the inventory holder so he/she can get a new one on order!