• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flight Ops Officer

Limelight

LAC
I got turned down medically for my first choices of ABM or ATC due to migraines when I was a teenager and I'm looking at alternatives. As I'm getting on a bit, my choice of branches is limited and it seems that my best bet is to reapply as a Flight Ops Officer.

I'm trying to work out if it is a role I'll enjoy, but it seems that information about it is quite limited online and even the RAF website is a bit vague about what I can expect from the job.

Can anyone give me a bit of insight into what day to day life would be like? Is it a varied role or is it just paper shuffling? Would I be likely to travel and actually get out on operations, or am I more likely to be stuck behind a desk at Brize for all eternity.

Thanks in advance.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Your first tour or maybe two will be on an Ops desk of some sort, after that, they world is your lobster as the FOO's can have a varied career path.

I've just had a look at what the RAF website and had a bit of a chuckle when I read what it said that FOO's do.. a lot of those jobs are done by SAC's in Ops rooms and I've never seen a FOO anywhere near a flight plan. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Some of the FOO's I have worked with over the years have been very good and went off to work with the Infantry and Navy, some have gone off to work in NATO posts and others however are still sitting behind an ops desk somewhere gathering dust.

Limelight

LAC
Thanks for the response. You make it sound like a much more interesting role that the RAF website suggests. I think I'll give it a shot and endeavour not to become one of the dust gathering desk dwellers.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Its what you make of it. No Ops room is the same, all have completely different procedures and knowledge base.

If you are thinking long term though for a career after the RAF in the commercial sector, maybe Air Transport ops may be the way forward. ;)

FOO's are integral to the running of a Typhoon Sqn. It can seem like a purely stats and program building, however there are reasons. Also, you as an FOO are responsible for the allocation of airspace and AAR assets. This is an integral part of training for Pilots and provision of QRA/External tasks.