• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness Standards for a RAF Reg Potential Officer?

J

JayCam

Hi everyone!

First post, just wanted to seek some advice. I am currently applying to join the RAF Reg as an officer and would like some suggestions on the kind of fitness level I should be at before I go for selection (apologies I have only just started my application by ordering the forms and I don't know the correct terminology).

Of course I will aim to be as fit as I can when I turn up and am not just looking to meet the minimum standards, however I want to make sure I am not going to turn up and waste everyones time by falling short on this front.

I currently have an application for the Army going through so have been training for a few months in preparation. At the moment I am running around the 8.0-8.5 mark on the bleep test and can do around 36-38 push ups in two minutes and well over 60 sit ups comfortably in the same time. My pull ups are not great, but can manage 6 on a good day.

I am aiming, by the end of March to be running at least level 10.5 on the bleep test and to be able to do 50 press ups and 70 sit ups in two minutes each, and more pull ups than I can at present.

How am I doing? Is this anywhere near close enough or have I a long way to go. Unlike the Army, the RAF don't seem to make it very clear what is required with respect to fitness. I just want to make sure I am prepared!

Thanks in advance for any help!

J.

:pDT_Xtremez_43:

Vagabond

Sergeant
I think Coohead @ Cockneyrock are your best bet to answer this one mate. Coohead seems to know his stuff about about fitness requirements and I think Cockneyrock is a zob.

J

JayCam

Thanks, I have indeed. However it doesn't state any actual timings or figures. Just outlines a training program which seems to be honest quite easy.

Do you know what kind of run times etc I should be expecting. I know that Gunners should be looking at a 3 mile run in 24 minutes, is this the same for officers or are the timings harder for officers?

EDIT: Cheers Vagabond! Will heed their advice if they pick up on this thread.

J.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Sergeant
Thanks, I have indeed. However it doesn't state any actual timings or figures. Just outlines a training program which seems to be honest quite easy.

Do you know what kind of run times etc I should be expecting. I know that Gunners should be looking at a 3 mile run in 24 minutes, is this the same for officers or are the timings harder for officers?

J.

Don't know if the timings change for officers but I do know you will be expected to be fitter than the junior ranks on basic training. I think they tab for longer as well. I think you need to be running at a fair pace and be comfortably covering 6-8 miles. Try and be as fit as you possibly can before you go in and it will save you a lot of stress. You will also be running around with a great deal of weight on and be expected to perform without looking like you are hanging out of you're arse.

I can remember the officers getting lots of beastings when I went through Catterick years ago.

J

JayCam

Cheers vagabond, I will make sure I am running that 3 miles in significantly less than 24 minutes and hopefully I will be in good stead for selection.

J.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Hi everyone!

First post, just wanted to seek some advice. I am currently applying to join the RAF Reg as an officer and would like some suggestions on the kind of fitness level I should be at before I go for selection (apologies I have only just started my application by ordering the forms and I don't know the correct terminology).

Of course I will aim to be as fit as I can when I turn up and am not just looking to meet the minimum standards, however I want to make sure I am not going to turn up and waste everyones time by falling short on this front.

I currently have an application for the Army going through so have been training for a few months in preparation. At the moment I am running around the 8.0-8.5 mark on the bleep test and can do around 36-38 push ups in two minutes and well over 60 sit ups comfortably in the same time. My pull ups are not great, but can manage 6 on a good day.

I am aiming, by the end of March to be running at least level 10.5 on the bleep test and to be able to do 50 press ups and 70 sit ups in two minutes each, and more pull ups than I can at present.

How am I doing? Is this anywhere near close enough or have I a long way to go. Unlike the Army, the RAF don't seem to make it very clear what is required with respect to fitness. I just want to make sure I am prepared!

Thanks in advance for any help!

J.

:pDT_Xtremez_43:

Not sure what the bleep test requirements for PROAC but on PGAC the Bleep test minimum is 9.10. The bleep test is a best effort test so basically you keep boing till you throw up or die (whichever comes first:pDT_Xtremez_15: ) Again for sit ups and press ups it is a best effort but be looking for a minimum of 25-30 press ups in a minute and 35-50 sit ups in a minute.

As for everything else just try and get yourself as fit as possible before you go. The fitter you are the easier things will be. Good luck with everything and if you have any questions feel free to ask away.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

At the start of Cranwell you need to achieve 8.8 on the bleep test if you are under 25 (or at least you did in my day), but as a potential rockape you will need to be much fitter than the others on your course. 10.5 would be good, in my day it was the highest you needed to achieve during IOT, but do try and get higher. If you can run 6 miles comfortably and 3 in under 22 minutes then the PT at Cranwell and Honington should do the rest for you...

J

JayCam

Thanks for the new replies. Much appreciated seems the following should set me in good standing. If anyone disagrees, please let me know...

Bleep test: 10.5
Push ups in 1 min: 30
Sit ups in 1 min: 40
3 mile run: sub 24 mins

I will of course try to do better than this, but will not put myself forward for PROAC until I am reaching them at least.

Thanks all! Will post again when I have an update on my application situation. The more I research the regiment, the more it seems I would enjoy a career as a rock ape over one in the army. We shall see!

:pDT_Xtremez_06:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How old are you JayCam? As VB and RR said, you'll need to meet the basic pass standard of the ROFA and RAFFT as a bare minimum but the fitter you are the better. Don't think you are loaded with too much weight and for too long on PROAC, but you certainly will be on JROC. Remember, RTS is a singular Squadron and they will want to see you doing more than the TG's. That said, should you be successful on JROC, the standards of the RAFFT (dependant on age) and ROFA (regardless of age) must be met by all ranks for the rest of their careers!

Last edited:
J

JayCam

How old are you JayCam? As VB and RR said, you'll need to meet the basic pass standard of the ROFA and RAFFT as a bare minimum but the fitter you are the better. Don't think you are loaded with too much weight and for too long on PROAC, but you certainly will be on JROC. Remember, RTS is a singular Squadron and they will want to see you doing more than the TG's. That said, should you be successful on JROC, the standards of the RAFFT (dependant on age) and ROFA (regardless of age) must be met by all ranks for the rest of their careers!

I am 21. I realise I should be aiming to be fitter than those figures, and I am working at it. At the moment the main thing holding me back is the bleep test. I havent tried a 3 mile timed run recently but I reckon I could do it in 24 minutes without too much bother.

All these acronyms! I need to learn the terminology lol. Hopefully it will make more sense when I receive correspondance from the RAF any day now.. should explain some things.

Cheers!

J.

R

Regtgirlfriend

hiya, i told my bloke about this thread, he has just done the new RAF REGT fitness test
which consist of a bleep test (11.5) push ups (40-45) and sits ups (30-40(the push up and sit ups are in 1 min)), and atleast 10 pull ups. this is still in its trial period, but at the moment you have to do this test, the raf fitness test and the ROFA (REGIMENT OPERATIONAL FITNESS ASSESMENT) , which used to be a loaded march with 70lbs and a speed march of 40lbs, carry 2 jerry cans 50 m, drag a 13 st dummy 50 m and lift a 40lb bergen/daysack onto the back of a 4 tonner. apparently thougth the ROFA is changing back to somthing similar to the BFT and CFT.
if you want anymore info i will pass on any msgs.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I am 21. I realise I should be aiming to be fitter than those figures, and I am working at it. At the moment the main thing holding me back is the bleep test. I havent tried a 3 mile timed run recently but I reckon I could do it in 24 minutes without too much bother.

All these acronyms! I need to learn the terminology lol. Hopefully it will make more sense when I receive correspondance from the RAF any day now.. should explain some things.

Cheers!

J.

JayCam, we are so used to TLA/FLA's!! They make the world go round (along with the 'buzzwords' of course).

ROFA - Regt Operational Fitness Assessment
RAFFT - RAF Fitness Test
PROAC - Potential Officers Aquaintence Course
JROC - Junior Regt Officers Course
RTS - Regt Training Sqn
TG - Trainee Gunner

J

JayCam

JayCam, we are so used to TLA/FLA's!! They make the world go round (along with the 'buzzwords' of course).

ROFA - Regt Operational Fitness Assessment
RAFFT - RAF Fitness Test
PROAC - Potential Officers Aquaintence Course
JROC - Junior Regt Officers Course
RTS - Regt Training Sqn
TG - Trainee Gunner

Thanks! :)

J.